Verbose Mode 24/7

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by crookedsysadmin, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookedsysadmin

Hi,

What's the harm in keeping logs up to 7 days and having verbose mode enabled all the time other than maybe having extra CPU load on the server?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That would probably be the biggest impact, and that impact would all depend on your particular set-up. I'm not certain if the log begins erasing the oldest when a certain size limit is reached, or expands to keep all logs for a given time period. What is the reason for wanting Verbose on all the time?

3. crookedsysadmin

From what I understand is 3CX recommends having it out of verbose mode until a problem occurs. By having it in verbose mode 24/7, if a problem happens, we can just see the logs rather than spending time and resources trying to get it to replicate again.

Currently, our CPU usage sits between ~10-30% most of the time so I dont see it as a big issue so that's why I wanted to ask.

jbryant84 likes this.
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There is probably a reason for it, or all logs would be collected constantly, with the option to see everything, or simply the basics. 3CX staff would have to provide the definitive answer. Personally, I find that using verbose helps in some situations, but takes a lot longer to go through, and is overkill for the majority of issues.

5. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I personal have all my systems run in Verbose mode all the time.

But I also aware that:
    I have increased read/write load on my disk
    I have to have much more disk space to log all the information (and in the cloud this can get $$$)
    I am aware that busy system will cause me 5% more logging CPU compared to low
    I am aware that it might will help me always to find the cause what happened before, but when the log is full of 100k calls, then I will restart the service of the pbx, flush the log with this, and ask to replicate the issue in house. If one call just did not work due XYZ of 100k then I might not even look further into it...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    jbryant84 likes this.
  6. crookedsysadmin

We use business intel software to pull data from our 3CX and therefore we're currently sitting at almost 600k calls in Call History. Is it a bad thing to have that many or should we purge it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.