Verizon as the Voip provider?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by madbenny, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madbenny

I'm looking to possibly using 3CX as our phone system but first I need to know if Verizon is a supported. Currently we have Verizon Voip coming in on a T1 line and then converted back to POTs lines through an Adtran Total Access 924.

Thank you in advance.

John

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In theory, it should work, it's just a mater of configuring 3CX properly.

If you don't feel confident in trying this out yourself, and, you can try connecting the Free version as a trial, then i would suggest contacting a local 3CX Partner, who is probably familiar with interfacing the PBX to Verizons service.

Forgot to add...you will probably require a T1 to SIP gateway.

3. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Based on reading Verizon's VoIP IP Trunking page: http://www.verizonenterprise.com/solutions/public_sector/federal/contracts/wits3/products/voice/voip_trunking.xml

They say it is "designed to work with any IP PBX that supports SIP-based trunking".. which would mean the 3CX IP PBX.

If that is the service you have, it will work.
    If not, mileage varies.. likely not work.

Comcast, for example, does do VoIP.. but not to SIP specs which you can get connected to an IP PBX.
    If somebody has something with Comcast working to the contrary.. please let me know. Running a SIP trunk over Comcast is horrible which we won't support..

Verizon says it has access via T1, so it can work with their circuitry options.

4. bardissi

bardissi Member

We run sip trunks voice traffic over Comcast with no issue as long as you have a 2nd modem just for the voip trunks.

As far as Verizon is concerned consider looking at other options because even if you want to use Veirzon as your carrier still they are not the best deal on the block!

5. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

@madbenny

In your current configuration it looks like Verizon is supplying analog (POTS) lines to your current system. This is supported in 3CX with the appropriate analog gateway. However, if you want digital features (DIDs for instance) you would need to get Verizon to deliver your voice via PRI or SIP. PRI is supported in 3CX with the appropriate gateway as well. SIP is not on the officially supported list, but most of the time it is the provider that will give you grief over that, 3CX plays nice.

@ian.watts
    Just FYI, Comcast does offer true SIP trunks now, but not out here in the west coast yet. And 3CX is not on the supported PBX list but I'm working with some Comcast folks I know to try and get it there.

http://business.comcast.com/smb/services/phone/sip-trunks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.