Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Verizon iPhone 4 - External Network - No Audio

Discussion in 'iOS' started by mrhall89, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrhall89

Ok, I've read through everything for the past 3 days and have nobody having my exact issue, which is as follows:

When attempting to use the iPhone 3cx app from an external network - I am able to register with no issues, calls connect with no issues, but there is no sound on either end. On the iPhone I only hear a ring when connecting to another 3CX extension (audio stops once other extension answers). I hear no sound whatsoever when calling a number that is not in my system.

I have forwarded the following ports to my PBX machine... (not sure that I needed to do them all - just did it because they were mentioned in other posts)

9000 - 9049

This is being done through an Apple Airport Extreme so there is no SIP ALG or any other very complex settings. I need to mention that when on the LAN i can use the app with no issue at all. This is only a problem externally - but I am able to register. Also, this is on the free version of 3CX.

iPhone was auto-provisioned originally and settings are:

ACCOUNT
    Name = 100@autoprov

Out of Office = ON
    Local PBX IP = 10.0.1.26
    External PBX IP = **.***.***.***
    PBX port = 5060
    STUN Server = stun3.3cx.com
    Proxy = (blank)

NETWORK
    Local SIP port = (blank)
    First RTP port = 4000
    TCP transport = OFF
    NAT Helper = ON

ALL CODECS ON

Hopefully I am just overlooking something but in summary... When calling from external network, caller nor recipient can hear any audio.

Device Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Phone Model: iPhone
    Generation: 4
    Firmware Version: 5.0.1
    Jailbreak: NO
    Cydia Installed: NO

Issue Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Connection: WiFi or 3G
    Server: External

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

2. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

can you explain what do you define as "an external network"?
    The GSM Network of Verizon or another wifi at home/coffee shop?
    The Ports are okey! Also make sure that the firewall on the 3CX host are disabled for all 3 prfiles! disabling it from the normal settings or stopping the services does not help! (Start , type firewall, start firwall with extendet settings, and disable it for home office public)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mrhall89

External meaning either. Connected to Verizon's GSM or any wifi network other than the local network containing the PBX.

My PBX is running Windows 7 and has all firewalls disabled (no firewall in router) - currently using IIS, not Abyss.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What does the 3CX log look like when the phone registers? If you are using it from a remote WiFi network, does the public IP, of the remote router, show up?

5. mrhall89

Here is what I get when registering using Verizon's 3G
    12:44:20.669 [CM504001]: Ext.100: new contact is registered. Contact(s): [sip:100@174.252.145.37:5979;ob/100]

Here is what i get when using WiFi
    12:47:49.652 [CM504001]: Ext.100: new contact is registered. Contact(s): [sip:100@216.99.116.***:53233;ob/100]
    which is the external IP of the network at my home.

I've attached a screenshot of my 3CX Server Activity Log - this is what shows while placing a call from my iPhone (external network) using the 3CX app.

Clearly there are some errors in the log but I do not know what they mean or how to resolve them.

Attached Files:

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It may come down to a port translation (or other port issue) with your own router. Have you run the 3CX Firewall Checker?
    I suspect that you will get some failures, going by the log you posted.

Some routers don't "play well" with SIP. In some cases this can be "fixed" by changing some of the options.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the Apple Airport Extreme, so I can't help you there.

Posting the results of the Firewall Checker might give someone , more familiar with that router, some clues as to what need to be changed.

7. mrhall89

Ok, I think I have it solved, looks like it's my router (which I originally listed incorrectly) is causing the problem.

I forgot that I changed out my Airport Extreme (which, according to it's specs, would work fine) with an Apple Time Capsule. One of the major differences between the two is that the Time Capsule uses symmetrical NAT, causing port translations.

Once I took the router out of the picture everything was fine. ** only tested 3G service so far, not WiFi **

Thanks for your help, I'll update this again once I get a router with Full Cone/Asymmetrical NAT and test it

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Glad it worked on 3G. That is usually the big hurdle, if that works, then WiFi should be a snap. Just be sure that STUN works for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.