Version 11 Ring groups Not available in free version??

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by checom1, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checom1

Simple situation. All was working fine. I installed, removed, installed again and am on 11.027011.711.
    If I try to add or modify a Ring Group. I get the info "Ring groups not available in the free version".
    Do I miss something?

2. mixig

mixig Active Member

you are not the only one...

http://www.3cx.com/forums/new-service-pack-update-for-v-31561.html

3. checom1

Many thanks, this is usefull and relaxing feedback. I reinstalled version 10 and will wait for some expert to find the approach.
    Best regards from Switzerland

4. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

this function has been removed in the free edition.
    For 395€ you will have a full licensed PBX and you could also use Queues if you like.
    Also you will have the 3CX Myphone with full functionality to monitor missed RG calls.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

The 3CX free version is really meant for evaluation of the system only ... 3CX have changed their approach to this recently, and in version 11, there are less features available than there were in previous free versions - but - 3CX now provide a full-feature licence that will allow 2 simultaneous calls.

This does mean that it is a whole lot easier to plan, approve and set up systems prior to full implementation (when you'd purchase a full and appropriate license) - but if all you are after is a free IP-PBX, then you'll have to stick with version 10.

Have fun ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

The mini edition is 4 licenses...

What paid version do they offer with 2 licenses?

7. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

The demo license offered with 3CX version 11 enables the enterprise feature set.
    Sorry - that should have read "3CX now provide a full-feature demo licence that will allow 2 simultaneous calls."
    best regards

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This has (always?) been the case, and, if you downloaded and "registered" you would be emailed the code. The issue arises because many just go direct to the download and never get an email explaining use of the Demo code.

9. gisvpn

Disappointing to see this has been removed as a feature in version 11.

10. iainmagee

Yea - this is really disappointing. Makes the free version almost entirely useless. Why would anyone want a PBX that can't even do a ring group!? Can't even use it at home - and I'm certainly not paying £400 for a PBX at home! Back to linux I guess! A bit short sighted I think - I don't intend supporting two different types of phone system so unfortunately this means I'll probably move the commercial accounts I manage to something else also.

11. markshehan

markshehan New Member

Why do you need Ring Groups at home?

The free version of 3CX is ideal for what most SOHO needs - some lines, extensions and voicemail.

If you need more than that (such as the Ring Groups, etc.) then you use the demo key for the 2 concurrent calls.

If you need all the features and more than 2 concurrent calls then you have to get the mini. For a one off fee (not an annual fee) it is a bargain. NEEDING all those features and concurrent calls means you are either very popular (in which case ask 3cx for a free mini version in return for sponsorship/endorsement to your millions of fans) or you are running a nice business which is making you some money and if you spread the cost over 3 years it comes to 35p a day. Cant afford 35p a day for your business? Skip a cup of coffee.

I assume by your statement that you provide your services to these smaller commercial accounts for free? You want 3cx to run their business and give their products for free, so I assume you do the same? (I am not getting at you, just trying to make a point that it is a business with employees and families that need to be paid for their work).

So I think it is the perfect model.

I dont see how people can complain about something they get for free.

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Because, any incoming call will behave in the same manner as as a call to a home without a PBX, all phones in the home ring (single ring group), and the call can be answered by simply picking up the nearest handset. In a home, unlike an office, people do not sit next to their extension.

Perhaps limiting to only one ring group, in the "free" version?

13. markshehan

markshehan New Member

True. But I thought that would be solved by having multiple handsets as the same extension. That is how it really works in the POTS world. Or DECT phones would do too.

Though I am inclined to agree with you that 1 ring group limitation would be good.

14. mixig

mixig Active Member

you can install v10 :D

15. iainmagee

Hey,

I'm not a big 3CX customer by any means but my own company has a paid for licence - Small Business I think - we've paid the annual support and been very happy with the product. Good value for money. We run the free version in a couple of small branch offices with a few phones and it's been fine for that. We dabbled as a partner a few years ago but never took it anywhere really for completely different reasons.

I'm a software developer - I understand the value of software and am very happy to pay for it. Although as an aside I do think this old argument "you can't complain because it's free" is total nonsense. The product is "free" for a reason and brings benefit to 3CX in other ways - presumably in one way by up-selling to people moving on from the free product. Which is exactly what we did a few years ago. I'm entitled to have a view on the product regardless of how much if anything that products costs in monetary terms. If it doesn't do the job then it doesn't matter if it costs a fortune or costs nothing.

And my argument is simply that dropping ring groups makes the product pointless for the target market which is presumably the small home office market who will maybe one day grow into a paid version. I want someone to ring me and for all my phones to ring. Can't get much simpler a request than that! Almost every small office I've ever seen works like that. And a home install is the same - not much use having only one phone in the house ring - I have a PBX at home but not a receptionist unfortunately :) I don't want to put all the phones on one extension number because I'd be no better off than having a handful of handsets all plugged into one PSTN line! Why would I go to the effort of buying IP phones, SIP Trunks, configuring a PBX to effectively get little more than I had before.

Of course 3CX are perfectly entitled to price/pitch their products as they like. I just always thought their model of free/paid for worked well. As I've said we migrated from the free version to a paid version a few years ago. If their intention is to phase out the free edition that's fine - but if not then I think they've made a mistake here. I cannot see "customers" who have such simple requirements paying for even the Mini version. I'll happily spend thousands of pounds if the need warrants it - but 35p a day or not I'm not spending £400 if I don't have to! In this case a quick search on google and 45 minutes later I had another PBX installed, configured, and doing the job. How many other people new to 3CX will also do that and never get a chance to see that the 3CX software is actually really good. In my opinion that's 3CX loss and not mine.

One or two ring groups would actually be a fine compromise.

I assumed that the demo licence was time limited - if it's not then that could well be an option - it is rare that I'd want more than 2 concurrent calls at home although it does happen that I need a quick conference call from my home office a few times a month.

Iain

PS - Yes I can stick with v10 - but that's hardly the point! I could stick with Windows 95 also but have no intention of doing that either :)

16. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

While you could make it work, having all sets using the same extension, as iainmagee explains well, means you might as well forgo the PBX altogether and just go with a multiple handset cordless set-up, especially if you only had a single "outside" line.

A single ring group, gives you the ability to call from one set to the other, while still being able to answer an incoming call from any set.

17. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

You could still do this with any multi-line SIP phone. Register one common extension across all the phones, and then a second unique extension.

Now some of you are saying why have a PBX if you can't have a ring group, because having all the phones registered as the same extension is the same as having multiple phones plugged into a POTS line. Last time I checked, most SIP trunk providers were still cheaper than a POTS line. And if you use the DEMO license for all the features and two concurrent calls, then you are saving even more money with your SIP trunk vs two POTS lines.

So you have the free version with less features, but more simultaneous calls, the demo version with all the features but fewer simultaneous calls, or the paid version. I would say you have plenty of options available to you.

18. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Provided you had a number of multi-line SIP phones, and not just a few ATA's, to make use of. In a home environment, where CAT 5 wiring may not be available at all locations, two wire phone line (or cordless DECT) may be your only option(s).

19. karl800

It would be nice to be able use the features, if you have an old key paid for it also.
    I bought the Mini License but this key only works with older versions and no longer works with new versions, it would be nice, if you bought a key previously, you will still be able keep older features..

Please allow this.

kind Regards
    Karl

20. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That is the reason for upgrade insurance. It really can't be expected, that if you paid for a licence, that the licence would automatically apply to all subsequent versions. New versions have new features. If you are happy with the way your current version functions, and many people are, then you stay at that version. If you need, or simply want, the new, additional features, that a later version offers, then the cost of developing that version, needs to be covered.

It certainly doesn't seem unreasonable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.