• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Very new to 3CX...what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sys Admin

Reaction score
I am very new to 3CX and have installed and done the "First Time Configuration", now what?
Is there a step by step instruction of what to do once the installation is completed? I am trying to follow the instructions online but it jumps from First time config to firewall and router config. Its is basically for telecom technicians who already know how to set this up.. The version installed is 15.5 Windows base.

I am setting VOIP for my small office of about 6-8 users and currently have 1 phone line with Spectrum Business and would like to create an extension for every users.

1. How do I tie that phone number to my PBX that I am configuring?
2. I have an quite a few Avaya 9608 phone system, are compatible with this PBX?
3. Will I need more that one line coming from Spectrum to accomplish this?

I am very new to 3CX and have installed and done the "First Time Configuration", now what?
Is there a step by step instruction of what to do once the installation is completed? I am trying to follow the instructions online but it jumps from First time config to firewall and router config. Its is basically for telecom technicians who already know how to set this up.. The version installed is 15.5 Windows base.

I am setting VOIP for my small office of about 6-8 users and currently have 1 phone line with Spectrum Business and would like to create an extension for every users.

1. How do I tie that phone number to my PBX that I am configuring?
2. I have an quite a few Avaya 9608 phone system, are compatible with this PBX?
3. Will I need more that one line coming from Spectrum to accomplish this?

Is this an analog line? If so, you will need something like the Patton SN-4114/JO/EUI to terminate the phone line. See https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/ for a list of supported gateways.

I am not sure about the Avaya phones. If they run standard SIP, you might be able to provision them manually. Here is the list of supported phones. https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/ Many times it is cheaper to purchase supported phones than try to get unsupported phones working fully. Check out the phones at http://yealink.com/products_top_2.html#filter2. The SIP-23G is a solid low-cost desk phone.

One analog line will let you make one outside phone call at a time.

You can create as many extensions as you like and use either SIP Deskphones, mobile apps, or the Windows App.

Hope this helps.

Hello @Sys Admin ,

Since you have completed the first time configuration, what you need to do from now on is:
1.Firewall configuration (https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/firewall-router-configuration/)
2.Create extensions for your users
3.Add your sip trunk (or gateway if you have an analog line)
4.Provision your IP phones
Everything else depends solely on the configuration you want for your office.

The firewall configuration guide is not aimed at telecom technicians, you just need basic understanding of firewall configuration to get you started.
If you have 6-8 people in the office, one line might not be enough but you know best. It all depends how many calls you need to have active at the same time (external calls that is). If you think that more than 1 person will be on the phone with people outside the office then you would need more lines/channels.
To "tie" the phone number with the PBX you will need to go into the management console>>SIP Trunks and register your SIP. Please note that Spectrum Business is not a supported provider by 3CX so you would have to register it as a "Generic Provider".
If this is an analogue line then you need a gateway as @neville suggested above.
Avaya phones are not supported by 3CX so if you are to use those you would have to manually configure them. If this is a hassle for you or you are not comfortable with the procedure you always have the option to use our 3CX client for Windows/Mac/Android/iOS which is available to you for free.

I would also suggest that you check our academy (https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/). There are slides and videos for all subjects, basic to advanced. This should be enough to get you started.

Hope this helps!

Thank you Neville and AndreasPo_3CX. I believe this should be enough to get me configured. As for the phones, I have about 20 of them, if they can be configured then I will go that route. I would hate to have to discard them. I have my work cut out for me tonight. thanks again.

Another question re: incoming/outgoing calls
Just to be sure, if I add another line does that mean I can only have 2 incoming and outgoing calls simultaneously? In the pass I had VOIP service where I could make unlimited calls out, but incoming would be limited to the lines I purchased. Would this be the same?

I am having an issue configuring the firewall on my router. I open all the required ports but I am still getting the following error message. Please see the screen shot below.

upload_2017-9-27_21-43-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-27_21-41-26.png
    upload_2017-9-27_21-41-26.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 3
Is SIP ALG disabled on your firewall? If not, you need to disable it. That is what might be causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.