• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Viatalk questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcat

Reaction score
Newbie here... I looked through the list of "tested" VOIP providers and didn't see anyone with Viatalk listed. I know very little about this stuff so wanted a few pointers. I have an Optimus-V (Virgin Mobile), Android 2.2. At home I get no 3G reception and would like to make and receive calls via my WiFi network. I have Viatalk with PAP2 connected to a Linksys router.

Can I install 3CX on my Optimus, configure it with Viatalk (I have phone#, PW, and SIP proxy server). Can I have incoming calls ring both my cell and my home phones? Can I make calls from either? Can my cell ring (on WiFi) if someone calls my cell#? Yeah, I pay $12/mo for Viatalk and there are "free" ways to make calls, but I've been with Viatalk 4 years without any lost calls or problems.... hard to give it up until I know something cheaper works as well.

My cell is currently set to make all calls with GV. Will this change? Just looking for my options and best way to get started. Thanks in advance!

Just installed 3CX android version on my Motorola Atrix and it works fine fine with outgoing calls, but I have not been able to receive calls. I use Viatalk and it was very easy to set it up. It connects very quickly and is a seamless operation on the mobile phone with both 3G and wireless. I don't know if it is a settings problem or the actual phone itself, as it is new hardware running Android version 2.2.1. Viatalk works perfectly with the 3CX softphone application on my desktop, both in and out. Much better than Xlite 4 or ExpressTalk. It also connects instantly where as the other two take about 15 seconds to ring through.

tcat said:
Can I install 3CX on my Optimus, configure it with Viatalk (I have phone#, PW, and SIP proxy server).

It can't hurt to try.

tcat said:
Can I have incoming calls ring both my cell and my home phones? Can I make calls from either?

It will ( you should) if your VoIp provider allows more than one device to register at the same time, check with them. And you are in WiFi hotspot.

tcat said:
Can my cell ring (on WiFi) if someone calls my cell#?

Not unless you port your mobile number over to a VoIP provider.

tcat said:
My cell is currently set to make all calls with GV. Will this change?

Not unless you are already using the 3CX phone with GV , (I assume you mean Google Voice?), which is unlikely

bhappy911 said:
Just installed 3CX android version on my Motorola Atrix and it works fine fine with outgoing calls, but I have not been able to receive calls.

I assume this is over WiFi? Do you have STUN enabled and working? Have you tried this from more than one hotspot?

Using the Motorola Atrix I am able to connect incoming and outgoing over both Wifi and 3G. I have STUN enabled and perhaps that helps, I can't say for sure or not. The only problem I seem to be having is when I lose my connection, the icon for the running 3CX application in the notification bar displays green for "registered" when in fact I am not registered or connected. Others seem to be having the same problem so this issue is not unique to the Atrix or ViaTalk. If I am unsure as to whether or not I am connected through my SIP provider (ViaTalk), I exit the 3CX app and restart it to make sure it is connected/registered and make the call.

bhappy911 said:
The only problem I seem to be having is when I lose my connection, the icon for the running 3CX application in the notification bar displays green for "registered" when in fact I am not registered or connected. Others seem to be having the same problem so this issue is not unique to the Atrix or ViaTalk. If I am unsure as to whether or not I am connected through my SIP provider (ViaTalk), I exit the 3CX app and restart it to make sure it is connected/registered and make the call.

I would suspect that the "green" for registered remains, even after you loose your connection, because SIP devices only register every so often. The 3CX default is 30 minutes. You could set this to a lower value if the option is available (haven't had to change that on my Andriod yet). All SIP devices have this "issue", they believe they are registered until the next scheduled one fails, although most wired devices (if set properly) are aware of a loss of Ethernet connectivity and will not give dialtone.

It sounds like the 3CX app, perhaps, doesn't monitor the status of your WiFi connection , or your 3G connection.

tcat wrote:Can I have incoming calls ring both my cell and my home phones? Can I make calls from either?

They will both ring but not simultaneously. Usually my desktop application rings about three times and then my cell starts. It will ring four or five times before my Google voice mail picks up. The caller usually will hear seven rings before the voice mail picks up. If I set up the desktop application to the do not disturb setting, it will ring the cell phone right away. Occasionally the cell phone is the first one to ring despite the fact that the desktop is set to the available setting. Bottom line: it is not a long process for the caller and you will have plenty of time to answer either device.

tcat said:
Can I have incoming calls ring both my cell and my home phones? Can I make calls from either?

If your provider allows multiple SIP devices to register simultaneously,(many do), then yes, an incoming call will ring both devices at the same time. The 3CX PBX will do this with extensions using the same number. And, once again, if your VoIP provider allows multiple devices to register, you can make calls from either.

I could configure 3CX without any hassles on my Atrix. However, the voice quality is very bad. It is not at all clear. wifi is faster both in corporate and home as the browsing is quite faster. Do I need any audio setting?

I supplied the user/server credentials. 3CX itself assigned a port (5060) and STUN. Registration successful and active. Hearing dialtone.

any idea guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.