Video Quality

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jeffm, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffm

We're looking for a softphone solution that support high res video calls. We're using FV TouchCam E1 cameras in conference rooms to talk between remote sites.

We tried the 3cx softphone but the video resolution is way too low for full-screen in a conference room. Although 3cx has different resolution settings, the phone never seems to use anything other than the lowest resolution. Although, it's hard to tell because you can't adjust the window size - it's either full screen or postage stamp. Both sides are configured to use 704x576 format first.

We've also tried Mirial and Bria but neither of these will recognize the cameras.

Any suggestions? Is there something I can do to get 3cx to use a higher resolution? Is there another video softphone out there that I have missed?

Thanks!

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    You may try the following:

- Open the Debug window and there, from the "File" menu, choose the "Configuration Folder".
    - Exit 3CXPhone
    - From configuration folder, edit the 3CXVoipPhone.ini file, it's phone'sconfiguration file
    - Find the [General] section and there add WebcamSize=x, where x can be 0, 1,2,3, or 4, like

[General]
    WebcamSize=3

- Save the file
    - Start 3CXPhone

This setting (default is 0) force webcam to provide signal closest to following resolutions:
    0 : 176 x 144
    1: 352 x 288
    2: 640 x 480
    3: 800 x 600
    4:1024 x 768

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jeffm

That worked. Thanks!

4. mega2

webcamsize=x string is only work on connected cam (Own Video) resolution (you can see yourself video on your pc FINE) but remote or 2nd person video resolutions is still bad, webcamsize=x is not working on remote video resolution even I setup webcamsize=x on all extension.
    Please Let me know video quality solution for remote or 2nd person video.

5. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

You should check which is most preferred resolution the remote phone is asking for.
    Suppose your remote phone supports, as 3CXPhone, 1000x1000 and 10x10. If the remote one asks for "10x10;1000x1000", 3CXPhone will provide the most preferred one, ie 10x10. If will be asked by "1000x1000;10x10", it will provide, again, the most preferred one, which now is 1000x1000.

If the remote phone is a 3CPhone, in the Connection/Advanced settings, in Video section move to the top of the list a better resolution.

Hope it helps
    Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mega2

Thanks for Reply, We are using 3CX SoftPhone5, I have already checked and set video resolution in advance setting top to low (on top 704*576 and on bottom 128*96) on all network but when we make video call then 2nd person's video resolutions & quality are very bad in full screen. Even videos made by big big boxes.

We had same problem with our pc connected webcam's video but after your advice this problem has solved and all of us can see own video in own pc very nice resolution and quality. But on call, 2nd person's video resolution and quality problem is still exist.

Remember in all network windows resolution has more than 1000+ resolution

7. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    Please do the following:
    On 3CXPhone, open its main menu then click on Debug icon to open the debug window, then make the video call you want. When the call ends, right-click the debug window, select Copy from menu and paste it here. It contains "user-friendly" information about video formats negotiated between call partners. However, have a look and try to figure out what's happen - if not, as I adviced, post it here.
    Regards
    vali

8. igor.snezhko

igor.snezhko Active Member

Hi!

I has some experiments with one PC and two 3CXPhone instances running under different accounts. I connected two Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 on the same PC.

Important thing here is to connect them to different PC USB controllers, because USB 2.0 speed is not sufficient to "pump" HD video on two cams.

So, then I have set WebcamSize=3 at the ini file. Then I received my own video an excellent quality! But other side quality was very bad both on full screen and at small (phone) screen. Then I changed phone's codec settings to 352 X 288 and received good small screen, but still bad full screen.

So, I have three questions.

1. Is it any way to get good fullscreen quality at remote side using HI-end webcams?

2. If it is not possible, can I see the remote picture at bigger screen (at window), but not at small phone's window?

3. Can I get two bigger video windows from two webcams simultaneously?

If I be able to use 2 webcams (on each PC) at three endpoints, I could have an 3 - way video conferencing right now!
    This is my customer's request.

But issues with poor quality and "fullscreen only" cannot get things done :oops:

UPDATE: I downloaded fddshow codec here http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm and replaced fddshow folder in 3CXPhone folder with fddshow folder from downloaded codec. Now I see far more resolutions in 3CXPhone debug window, but video not sending!
    [​IMG]

9. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Daryl

I've tried to explain several times: the most important thing in video quality is the one the two partners has specified in their SIP account settings. H263 allows only predefined formats - 640x480 is not among them, you have to choose between 352x288 and 704x576. In case of 3CXPhone, this setting is available in account's Advanced Settings page. If you specify 704x576, it means YOU want to see the other one in this resolution. If the other one is not able to met your request, it will send his image to a lower resolution, therefore you will have poorer quality than you expected.

Now, supposing both partners are able to transmit/receive video in 704x576, if your webcam provide 640x480, that image will be stretched to 704x576, therefore the other person will see your image slightly distorted and to a lower quality than expected. If your webcam provide 2000x2000 resolution, it will be shrinken to 704x576, so the other person will see your image in expectyed quality, but slightly distorted and to a lower quality than YOU expected. Also, shrinking/stretching requires more CPU from your phone (it's a video conversion) and, in case of high webcam resolutions, more unnecessary memory (roughly width x height x 4 bytes, exclude other memory buffers).

10. igor.snezhko

Vali, do you mean full screen mode in you explanation? But how can I receive a bigger frame in "window" mode?

11. igor.snezhko

Yes, I agree. Current soft phone video window is too small, and full screen is bad formatted and unusable.

The best way is to allow detachable video window, that will support all webcam profiles. For example, I use HD cams only, so why I cannot receive nice, big, high quality video frame from the other size?

12. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

I suppose my english is not good enough to understand or to explain :roll:

"I use HD cams only, so why I cannot receive nice, big, high quality video frame from the other size"
    Igor, what has to do your webcam - and its quality - with the received image? :roll:

13. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

I don't have any other SIP phone supporting 4CIF, so you will have to use two 3CXPhones.
    In both phones, open the account configuration dialog, then click the Advanced Settings button. In the advanced settings dialog, using up/down buttons, move the 704x576 resolution on top. Click OK, again OK. Then, from the main menu, click Debug to open debug window. Make a call to the other 3CXPhone and take a look at debug traces - you should see what video resolution has been chosen. Tell me if something is not going as expected.

Regards
    vali

14. mega2

Dear Vali, u r right this setting make better resolution but not give satisfied professional result. Video result of other side is like early 90s video formats. Now this is HD decay. 3CX softphone video results is very bad. now days all available softphones has automatic detect best video resolutions and gives best results. I have tired with 3cx softphone video testings but not still found any good solution. even I did X settings too. plz let me know 3cx soft phone 6 support HD video or not ?

15. mega2

less then 1000 resolution is Past. now we require > 1000 resolution video formats but 3CX SoftPhone has maximum support 704*576 resolution of video. Please enhance video transmission quality and auto detect highest best quality videos features.

16. igor.snezhko

Yes, fully agree. Currently I have to sell third-party video solutions also...

17. natsuto

I think the best way is to make a detachable video windows, and will support all of the camera configuration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.