View Dialed Number - Play Prompt - Use Specific Trunk

Discussion in 'Call Flow Designer' started by vizualpro, Nov 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vizualpro

What I'm trying to accomplish is have calls to specific territories we service use the local area code. Currently I have outbound rules setup to do this but it only works if the customer has a phone number with that local area code. I'd like any calls that don't match those local area codes to be sent to CFD, play a prompt to the employee to select the territory they're calling, and then point them to one of the correct trunks we already have in place. Is that concept even possible or am I missing something?

2. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi @vizualpro,

Yes, you need to route inbound calls to the CFD app extension, so the CFD app can ask for the territory using a Menu or User Input, and then transfer the call adding some prefix to select the outbound rule you need.

Kind regards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vizualpro

Thank you for clarifying that this is possible to do with outbound calls. Is there any example projects that can point me in the correct direction as far as setup? I'm just starting to dabble with CFD so any references you can throw at me would certainly be appreciated.

4. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Here you have many example to start off:
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/call-flow-designer-examples/

Alse, these examples are based on demo projects that are included when you install the CFD, so you don't need to start from scratch in case you want to take a look at any of them.

Regards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. vizualpro

I am going through examples and working through building the flow, but I've gotten stuck on variable validation. How would I grab the number dialed by our staff, parse out a 1 if present, and capture the area code only for further use to see if it matches any of the ones I'm looking for?

Attached Files:

6. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Maybe I misunderstood the flow. I thought that you were dealing with inbound calls that arrived to 3CX and then you were forwarding them out through a specific trunk. But what you are doing is dialing out from normal extensions to external numbers, right?

Well, outbound rules can only send the calls to SIP trunks or VoIP Gateways, but not to internal extensions. So if you can't find a rule for that outbound call dialed by the caller, then you can't forward it to a CFD extension. The only way to achieve this would be that callers dial to the CFD app and then enter the number to call via DTMF, but if they dial out there is no way to send the call to a CFD app. Sorry about my misinterpretation...

Kind regards.

7. vizualpro

That's fine - having the dispatch staff dial to the application prior to dialing out isn't a deal breaker. Our old system would require that we dial 9 before any number so this concept isn't much different.

8. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

In that case, when the CFD app receives the call, it asks for the destination number via DTMF using a User Input component. Then you can evaluate that number as you wish, using a script, validating it against a database, etc. And finally you transfer the call to the destination, maybe adding some prefix to take a specific route.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.