View Presence of other groups

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mlump, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlump

mlump New Member

I'm probably just missing something here but i have been testing out V12 and cant find how to view presence for groups I'm not part of. If i go to the rights page under the Ext I'm logged into 3CX Phone for Windows as I can check the different groups and give myself user rights to the group. After i apply these i can see all the different groups in the 3CXPhone. However now i am an actual member of all these groups. How do i allow my reception/Admin staff to be able to view the presence info of all groups without actually being a member of all the groups. On top of that i want all employees to be able to view everyone's presence info and be able to start calls to Ext. outside there group by double clicking that Ext. This was default behavior on V11 MyPhone how do i get that back in V12?

2. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

I am seeing a "DEFAULT" list in Presence, which looks to be every extension not hidden.. whereas Staff had most of us.. but boss wasn't there and couldn't find anybody other than the DEFAULT group. Same for you?

3. AndreasP_3CX

AndreasP_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi Mlump

You cannot. In order for an extension to be able to see group presence it has to be a member of that group.

"On top of that i want all employees to be able to view everyone's presence info and be able to start calls to Ext. outside there group by double clicking that Ext. This was default behavior on V11 MyPhone how do i get that back in V12?"

If you want your employees to do what you mention add them to the DEFAULT group give them the appropriate rights and they will be able to view everyone's presence and make calls to extensions outside their group (make sure that all your extensions are also members of the DEFAULT group as well and they should be since every extension added is by default a member of the DEFAULT group too unless changed).

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kmanson

I am with Mlump on this one, I think removing this feature is a very bad idea, our receptionist uses the groups to quickly find the user and transfer calls. Please bring it back.

5. mlump

mlump New Member

Yea i have to say not being able to see the presence of groups your not part of is a bad idea. We are basically loosing a piece of functionality of the MyPhone that everyone loved.

Granted that yes if i left everyone in the default group i could find them for click to call or a drag and drop transfer, and for smaller offices that's fine. However what about my deployments where we are talking about 100+ users. Let alone the one I;m working on now that is 600+ users.

Being able to sort through and quickly find some based on what department there in and then call or transfer a call to them by drag and drop is a much loved functionality of 3CX v11. With the current setup you are basically throwing it away.

I have to say i like almost everything i see with v12 but this is a big hole that really need plugged before i can move my bigger customers two it. Including my own office considering we have 50+ users ourselves.

Mike Lump
    3CX Advanced Certified
    ComResource Inc.
    3CX Premium Partner

6. snowsam

Same issue here. Please consider addressing.

Thanks!

7. jim@itstod.se

jim@itstod.se New Member

Agree!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. AndreasP_3CX

AndreasP_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi mlump

like we said if you want to see the groups with their specific extensions then that extensions has to be a member of that group, if you want to see all extensions just make them members of the DEFAULT group also (if they arent already) and give yourself management rights. Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards

9. mlump

mlump New Member

That works for Smaller Deployments but when where talking 150+ extensions an unorganized list with over 150 people in it is not that helpful.

10. ldeeder

I agree. But in addition, does anyone know of a central location to post issues about this new MyPhone app? I have too many complaints to create a post for each.

3CX, please make this new application function as it did! Not one of my clients will want to upgrade. The MyPhone app was my #1 selling point.

11. layton

The trick seems to be getting the right combination of the "Can see group members" and "Show presence to group members" permissions.

Any extension with the "Can see group members" permission will be able to see the group in 3CX Phone
    Anyone without the "Show presence to group members" permission will not appear as a member of the group in 3CX Phone

All of our extensions are members of the Default group, but we have removed the "Can see group members" permission from the default user permissions for that group so they don't have to see that massive group in 3CX Phone.

If you don't have the need for Manager permissions (e.g. such as Barge-in, etc.) for a group - just set the default Manager permissions for your group(s) to enable "Can see group members" and disable "Show presence to group members" Then add your call-routers (receptionists, etc.) to the group(s) with Manager permissions.

Alternately, if you need to separate the Manager level for some group members, you could just add your call routers as normal users to each of those groups, then manually edit the permissions for the call router extensions to enable "Can see group members" and disable "Show presence to group members".

Admittedly, more administrative overhead than we're used to - but you can at least achieve the similar experience for the end-user.

12. jcasares

It seems by all the comments about the new "My Phone" alternative that we would have to skip the v12 until 3CX sort out all the features they took out or complicated it for the sake of it. It seems a pattern in the industry lately. Google crippling mobile maps app and play web are the most recent examples.

13. nickjhunt

Totally agree, even in our small deployment we are used to looking to myphone for a department then an available person within that group. NOT happy with the way this looks. If I make everyone a member of every group, apart from the admin overhead doing that, it then makes the console messy as I use the groups to manage my extensions.

14. amarsys

Agreed. There is so much wrong, it needs a complete and immediate overhaul. Don't get me wrong, ditching the Silverlight platform was probably a good idea, but the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater. Things that were simple in v11 3CXMyphone now take far too many clicks, and why does it have to be so SMALL !!!

15. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

We know that changes are not welcome...
    Could you please provide a list of the things which are requiring less clicks in v11?

Thanks

16. jcasares

I have to disagree with that. Changes are welcomed.
    Just that changes that make things more complicated or less user friendly are not.
    Before, we had a light web interface. Now, we have a big fat client we have to install with other features we don't use.

And I remember when we were lectured about leaving the 3CX Assistant for Silverlight MyPhone. It was the future... It seems it wasn't.

17. amarsys

In v11 it was 1 click to view the voicemails tab. In v12 you have to click "more options" then the button for voicemails.

Then when viewing the voicemails listing, in v11 you could play one or delete one from the list. In v12 you have to double-click each one to view or delete. In so doing, you lose your position in the list.

The worst change by far is that the 3CXPhone window is no longer resizable.

There is also a subtle point that these changes feel like they have been made to make things deliberately harder. It creates annoyance with 3CX for creating such a stupid program, where previously there was enthusiasm. You will lose the confidence of your users with this.

These are just examples. I really think you need to go back to your development team to get the full details.

These may sound like small issues, but you will soon find that even in a business with just 2 agents like ours, you lose control of the incoming calls and voicemails. Tasks that used to be simple are now taking far too long. You might as well manage voicemails just on the handset keypad and not use 3CX at all.

Please note I have advised our reseller not to upgrade any of his other customers upgrade until this is resolved - or until 3CX Myphone is reinstated - because I think the disruption to larger customers will cause too much resentment against his business.

18. netswork

netswork Active Member

One thing I have noticed is you can not hold and park from the small 3cxphone screen. You can only park from the big presence screen (not using CTI). And hold does not seem to be an option on the big presence screen. Also you can not play the voicemails straight from the app, you have to save the voicemail as a wav file somewhere on your computer and then play them. This worked much better in myphone.

19. jcasares

Was there any progress on any of these things?
    When it was a simple click to see if someone was on the phone now it's 2 clicks in two separate parts of the screen (1 on tray, move to the top of the screen and 1 on show presence)

20. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

There have been newer updates on the 3CX Phone client that have addressed various issues and bugs, however the overall design remains the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.