Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Virtual Extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by turnkey, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turnkey

Hello,

Is it possible to create a virtual/invisble extension?

I want to be able to give my mobile a virtual extension, so that if I'm on the road, I can tell people to simply dial extension 185, it will ring my mobile?

However, I do not want it to show up in the 3CX assistant?

Also, is it possible for the Digital Receptionist to have the option of dialling an external number? (Or can this be done via a virtual extension?)

2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

There is no way to hide an extension from showing up in the Assistant today (although this would make for a great feature request). If you are on the road, why not just use the feature that will call your cell phone and ask you to confirm the call? This way the system follows you whereever you are.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Create an outbound rule...185, for example, remove 3 digits and prepend the full mobile number including whatever access code you use in the office, then send to your outbound trunk group.

4. turnkey

Good idea Kerry, however, I'm only going to be in the office once a month, so it seems silly for me to actually have a "proper" extension.

5. turnkey

That's a cool idea! - Thanks I might try this :)

6. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Interesting workaround

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. turnkey

Sure is, have you ever had this request Kerry? - If so, what have you been doing?

8. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

No I havent but I dont know why I didnt think of responding that way since I routinely redirect 411 to some free directory service using that same method.

9. Flyer78

That works great for internal people that know to dial that number but what about for the Digital Receptionist to be able to transfer too. I would like the person calling to hit 3 and be directed to a cellphone. If the cellphone does not answer within a certain period I would like the call to hit my voicemail on the 3CX. I don't see a way of doing this.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, if you want the call to bounce back and go to a 3CX extensions voicemail, then it would have to have originally been sent to a real extension number. Can you not just make use of the phones voicemail, from your mobile provider? If you currently have the feature (and most mobiles do), a call will go there immediately anyway if you turn off the phone or move to anywhere you loose a signal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.