• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Virtual Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnkey

Reaction score
Hello,

Is it possible to create a virtual/invisble extension?

I want to be able to give my mobile a virtual extension, so that if I'm on the road, I can tell people to simply dial extension 185, it will ring my mobile?

However, I do not want it to show up in the 3CX assistant?

Also, is it possible for the Digital Receptionist to have the option of dialling an external number? (Or can this be done via a virtual extension?)

There is no way to hide an extension from showing up in the Assistant today (although this would make for a great feature request). If you are on the road, why not just use the feature that will call your cell phone and ask you to confirm the call? This way the system follows you whereever you are.

Create an outbound rule...185, for example, remove 3 digits and prepend the full mobile number including whatever access code you use in the office, then send to your outbound trunk group.

KerryG said:
There is no way to hide an extension from showing up in the Assistant today (although this would make for a great feature request). If you are on the road, why not just use the feature that will call your cell phone and ask you to confirm the call? This way the system follows you whereever you are.

Good idea Kerry, however, I'm only going to be in the office once a month, so it seems silly for me to actually have a "proper" extension.

leejor said:
Create an outbound rule...185, for example, remove 3 digits and prepend the full mobile number including whatever access code you use in the office, then send to your outbound trunk group.

That's a cool idea! - Thanks I might try this :)

Interesting workaround

KerryG said:
Interesting workaround

Sure is, have you ever had this request Kerry? - If so, what have you been doing?

No I havent but I dont know why I didnt think of responding that way since I routinely redirect 411 to some free directory service using that same method.

That works great for internal people that know to dial that number but what about for the Digital Receptionist to be able to transfer too. I would like the person calling to hit 3 and be directed to a cellphone. If the cellphone does not answer within a certain period I would like the call to hit my voicemail on the 3CX. I don't see a way of doing this.

Unfortunately, if you want the call to bounce back and go to a 3CX extensions voicemail, then it would have to have originally been sent to a real extension number. Can you not just make use of the phones voicemail, from your mobile provider? If you currently have the feature (and most mobiles do), a call will go there immediately anyway if you turn off the phone or move to anywhere you loose a signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattS
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.