vlan

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by spaldo1973, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaldo1973

Hello,

I'm about to set up 3CX and need some advice. I have Cisco 504g phones and Cisco PoE switch. I want to set it up so that voice traffic goes to one vlan and the computer traffic will use a separate vlan. Where is this done? Is it in the phone interface, the switch, 3CX?

TIA!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It would not be set up in 3CX as it just deals with SIP. You would have to set that up in your Router/Switch if you use the same physical Ethernet wiring for both your computers and your SIP phones.

3. willow

willow Member

if the computer will be connected behind the phone then you will need to setup the switch for a native data vlan and a voice vlan. you will then need to tell the phone which vlan it needs to send the voice in and which vlan to pass the data on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. spaldo1973

Thanks for the responses. Working on that solution now.

5. trinity

If you have the the Cisco switches formally known as Linksys, like the SG300, then it has an auto voice vlan feature which you can use. You tell the switch what the MAC addresses start with and they will auto tag to the voice VLAN.
    I didn't use this and went with a manually determined vlan instead. Here is what I ended up doing:

In the default vlan, add a DHCP boot server option to point to a tftp server that loads a single config file to put the phones into the voice vlan, and sets the boot file to look for the auto provision file via HTTP.
    I used tftpd - http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ loaded on the PBX server

My Cisco file looks like this:
    <flat-profile>
    <Enable_VLAN group="System/VLAN_Settings">Yes</Enable_VLAN>
    <VLAN_ID group="System/VLAN_Settings">6</VLAN_ID>
    <Profile_Rule group="Provisioning/Configuration_Profile">/$MA.xml</Profile_Rule>
    </flat-profile>

A phone fresh out of the box will pick up the above script and reboot.
    You need a DHCP server servicing the vlan. When the phone reboots, it will pick up an ip from the voice vlan, and get it's provisioning script via http off 3cx. The voice vlan dhcp should also provide the boot option to the device.

You will probably need a router to route between the vlans if you are using the cisco - formally linksys- switches. They do not have routing across vlan capability.

I will have a look at the auto vlan option in the ciscos when I have the available hardware and an install timeframe that gives me the time to do it.

6. trinity

oh - you also have to make the vlan in the switche(s).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.