• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Voice Application Deployment & Packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinpluss

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Been hammering the hell out of VAD this weekend - its been a great learning experience - even had to blow the dust off of my .NET knowledge to create some custom libraries... but I do now have an application that is exactly what the customer needs which is awesome!

Couple of questions:

I'd like to deploy a voice application I have built using VAD to a remote 3CX PBX that I don't have network access to (its on a customer site). Is there anyway to do that manually? I can remote desktop the PBX and it has dropbox on it so I can upload the application, but I think I have seen mention of an application registration process that involves an API... anyone know of it or done it?

Also, I am planning to build a number of voice apps for 3CX for both internal use and customer use. I assume that the VAD license is just for the designer itself and that I don't need a license for each PBX I deploy my voice applications to?
My aim is to package the applications up with installers so that they can be distributed and installed by the end users themselves quickly and easily.

Thoughts please ;-)

So, I managed to configure a PPTP connection to the customers site and changed the PBXServer IP value in the project and hit deploy. The deployment starts but doesn't complete. If I check the remote 3CX PBX I can see the projects debug deployment folder in C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Http\Interface\ivr but I don't know why the deployment failed, I just get an error that says 'An error occurred while deploying the project: Config server is not connected'.

I can pin the remote server and access its web interface.. is there a log file anywhere that tels me what has caused the deployment to fail? Do I maybe need VAD installed on the remote PBX?

Hi,

You need to use the VAD to deploy your application. There is no way to create an installer for that. We have plans to do something like that in the future, but for now you need to use the VAD deploy option.

In order to deploy to a remote computer, you need to enable remote configuration in your 3CX installation. It is explained in the VAD users manual (page 3, Allowing remote access to the configuration).

Regards,

:oops: How embarrassing... really should have read the manual... thanks.

Hmmm. Did as page 3 suggested but I'm still getting an error when I try and deploy the application. Pop error advises: 'An error has occurred while deploying the project: IVR'

Any ideas how I might fault find this?

Maybe the VAD App Devs could chuck together a quick tool that I could run on the remote server once I have copied the contents of the build folder to it that would register the new IVR? Now that would be cool...

If not. Is there a deployment log anywhere that might give some ideas?

Did you select the right PBX version in the project settings?
Also, did you open the Windows firewall in the 3CX server for the configuration port?

Yes. Firewall is off & Project is set to V10. I have deployed this successfully to my test PBX here which is a v10 install.

The error is related to the connection to the configuration server. Did you restart the 3CX services after changing the 3CX Phone system.ini file as described in the manual?

Yes. I restarted the configuration service as it documented which restarted all of its dependencies at the same time.
The files are being uploaded to the remote PBX fine.

May I ask where have you set the PBX version? Can you paste a screenshot of the properties window for your project?

Some users change the default settings instead of the project settings, maybe this is causing the problem here. If you go to Tools -> Options -> Projects -> General, you have a combo box where you can select the default PBX version. That setting is used only when you create a new project. In that case your new project will have the property PbxVersion equal to the value you configure here.

But the setting that you may need to adjust is the PbxVersion for the project. To do this you need to open your project, select the project name in the Project Explorer, and then you will have the PbxVersion property in the Properties Window. There you need to select V10. If you change this value you will have to restart the VAD, so the right library is loaded.

Can you confirm that you changed the right value?

Thanks,

This is usually a problem with the client and server library used to deploy the project to 3CX. If your server uses a version with a slightly different protocol than the client, then you may experience this problem.

When you deploy the project locally you never have this problem because the VAD uses the library already installed with 3CX. But when deploying remotely, the VAD includes different versions of that library with the installation, and selects the right one depending on what 3CX you need to install.

So, something to try could be installing in your local PC the same 3CX version that you have in production (with the same Service Pack). Then uninstall the VAD and install it again. Activate the VAD license again. Then the VAD will use the library from your local installation, but you will be able to deploy to the remote machine.

As part of the new release of the VAD we'll include a tool to make remote deployments, that's a good idea, thanks for the feedback.

Please, give it a try and let me know if it works.

Thanks,

Good stuff.
I will give it a go this evening and report back ;-)

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.