Voice lag / delay through 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Frederiksen, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederiksen

Hi all!

We are testing the free version of 3cx and considering to buying the full version. I found it easy to install compared to my Linksys hardware IP telephone central.

I just godt one huge issue! When I talk to my costumers I got lot of voice delay, when I say something in the phone it take about 3-4 secounds before the person in the other end receives it, in that time the person could have started to talk about something new - because af that I get some wird concersations. Besides that my voice also lags, it's also makes it very hard to understand what I am saying.

I'm using QoS on my 3CX server. And i'm using Linksys SPA941 IP phone. At my VOIP getway settings in 3CX i'm using the lowest codec; iLBC

I'm using the Danish VOIP providor named Redspot, and when i'm typing my VOIP proxy directly into my ip Phone I don't got any problems at all. The lag and delay only occours when i'm talking through the 3CX system.

I got 8000/768 kbit/s connection - My VOIP providor, Redspot saying that the iLBC codec only reqiures 30kbit/s.

My 3CX server is a Virtual XP client, running on a 3,0 GHZ intel Xeon, with 2048mb ram dedicated.

When I call someone internal it's also take about 10 secounds before the internal Phone starts ringing, but when the internal call are stated i Dont got any delay or lagging voice.

What do I do to stop the lagging voice and the voice delay under conversations?? And what do i do to make internal call's ring alot faster?

Regards
    Frederiksen, Denmark.

2. h2009

h2009 Member

The lag in dialing is kinder normal - it just happens, i havent found away to solve it, i think its just a connection issue.
    The lag in your voice - run this test and post a final screen shot of the results http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MajoR_Mess

Seems as tho u have other network issues apart from the 3CX config.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Frederiksen

SS -> http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5198/voipgl4.jpg

What Other network issues could that be???

5. MajoR_Mess

The reason I suggested that is because you are having problems on your LAN.

Re the external calls. Have you tried one of the G711 codecs?

6. h2009

h2009 Member

It doesnt have to be anything wrong with your LAN settings/hardware. Sometime the server & or voip proivders are just slow at connecting (depending on what your calling). But Just rereading what you wrote and 10 seconds is a long time for an internal call - is this an internal call on the same LAN or over the internet to an extension internally?

have you got any other software on your server which could be slowing you down?

7. Frederiksen

No other software installed on the virtual XP Client, and the call was made on the same lan network

I have also tried the other codecs, it's dosen't help. My costumers still says that my voice is laggy :cry:

8. h2009

h2009 Member

Ah that could be your problem - your on a VM client.

Is there any way you can test it without using VM - Atleast this way we can see if its the network setup which is casing the problem or just VM.

Anyway to be honest you're much better off buying two linksys spa921 and testing it that way. Its very easy to setup and there problems your having with the computer wont show up in it.

9. Frederiksen

you are saying the SPA921 is better than my SPA941 ? I got 6 of these phones so i'm not pleased about changing them. If i'm calling directly whitout 3cx i dont got any problems..

10. h2009

h2009 Member

No no dont worry about changing them, they are effectively the same model - just 941 is a little more complex - i.e because of the extra lines.

Anyway back to your problem - can you test the software on a windows machine rather than VM? Im pretty sure its because your running VM ware - although others here have got it working on that.

If you test it directly on any windows machine - (as long as it meets min requirements) you can find out if its VM causing the problem or something in your network.
    But since you said you said its fine when not using 3CX, its looking like its VM.

11. Halea

Halea New Member

Are you accounting for the dialpad key delay? WHen you dial a number, terminate it with the # sign and see how fast the other extension is ringing. Without the # sign, it could be a few seconds, with #, it should be quasi instantaneous.
    Halea

12. Frederiksen

I Will try to install it on a physical machine tommow, through i thought that a VM XP client with 2048 ram and 2 * 3,0 intel dual xeon cpu's should be enough. Bye the way, what is the minimum requirements ?

Another info, it's not VM whares software. It's microsoft Virtual server software I use to create my virtual XP client.

13. Frederiksen

WOW, the physical server made the difference!!! Don't got any voice lag anymore. Eventrough the physical server is a lot smaller then the virtual server. And if i put # the phones also call immediately.

One last Question, how du I hide my number so my costumers can't see my number when I make a call? Is it a 3CX setting, or something i have to setup in my hardware phones (linksys spa941)?

Regards, Frederiksen.

14. h2009

h2009 Member

Great to hear its working for you!
    VM really does make things harder for some reason.

There should be a setting on the phone you can use to block your id - you may have to go into the configuration to set it.
    Also you can contact your voip provider to block your id.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.