voice quality

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by amoham3, Apr 19, 2007.

1. amoham3

Hi

We are testing the 3cx IP PBX we have successfully installed the server and 2 client but when we call within the clients that are on a LAN the voice quality is very bad I have tested with 3 softphone x-lite, 3cx phone, eyebeam out of the 3 x-lite is a little better but not perfect or good. can you please advise how to resolve this issue

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No problem,

Let us know what it means "voice quality" is really bad.

There are several players in this:

Echo, for example you hear yourself on the hand set. The echo can be at your end or on the other end.

Jitter/Latency, this is sort of like the old days where you had to wait for the other person to finish the conversation. There is a bit of delay.

There are several other reasons, so if you can describe the what you say is bad voice quality.

3. amoham3

By bad quality I mean that there is lot of noise on both the ends very difficult to make out what the other person is saying.also there is echo on one end.

4. NigelG

Hi,

I found that you can improve the x-lite by limiting the choice of audio codec. Go to options, then advanced and remove unused codecs, my best results were with 711a, but I have yet to find a softphone that comes close to a fixed IP phone.

Probably Worth checking your network capacity and setup as well.

Regards Nigel

5. NigelG

Hi Again,

Assuming you are using a headset with the softphone, on the x-lite go to options and then devices and check the settings for echo cancelling and noise reduction.

NigelG

6. ITWorks

ITWorks New Member

I had a great deal of noise with the softphones until I realized it was the inexpensive headsets and microphones we were using. Switched to Altec Lansings which said they were designed for VOIP and the quality is nearly as good as the handsets.

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Bad voice quality would mean you are using bad speakers and microphones. The Voice quality is determined by the end points. Use quality headsets and microphones or else just use a SIP hardware phone such as a Grandstream. In extreme cases it can also be a poorly configured network.