• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Voicemail email no longer working after changing ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Talbott

Reaction score
We recently changed our ISP provider and since then we can no longer get voicemail emails or any emails for the 3CX system. Although we made no changes to the firewall, when we do a test email, it asks us to make sure the TCP port is open, which it is. I did change the 3CX network static IP to the new address, but we still get the port error. Is there something else I have to update based upon our new ISP.

While this is completely a long shot, I know one of the ISP's here blocks SMTP traffic (port 25 and 587) based on service type. The other ISP tarpits unknown SMTP traffic which creates a bit of havoc with systems like this.

A lot of things will depends on your configuration. Are you set up to use the default 3CX SMTP server or have you configured a different SMTP server?

**EDIT**
If you are using your ISP's server for outbound mail, make sure you've got it set to the right ISP...

Thanks. I called the new ISP and they said they do not block any ports. And yes, we are set up to use the default 3CX SMTP server. We just keep getting the time out error and it tells us to check the port.

Double check that the email address in the notifications tab is valid?

Kinda grasping at straws here. I have just enough information to be 'kinda' helpful.

Thanks, but it is good. I don't know why changing ISPs would cause this problem, although we do do the recent V15 upgrade. Both happened around the same time, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Hello @James Talbott

If the public IP of the PBX was set to static when the change was made and you simply changed the IP that might be causing your issue. Try the following:

• Navigate to Settings / Network and set the IP as "Dynamic Public IP (IP changes)"
  • Restart all 3CX services
  • Wait for 30 minutes and try again .
  • Also make sure that your FQDN resolves to the correctly to the new IP.
  • If this was successful you can set the IP back to static.

Thanks. I've tried it, but as of this writing the IP change has not gone through. It is still on the old IP address. I'll keep watching and let you know when (hopefully) it changes.

It's now been about 7 hours and the FQDN is still coming up with the old IP address. I've reset the services a few times and tried the email test with the same time out error. I'll wait until tomorrow and see if the IP address filters down though the DNS servers unless you have any other suggestions.

If the issue is not resolved please send a personal message with your FQDN and public IP so we can run a check on our side.

It's now been 24 hours and the IP still has not changed. How do I send you a personal note?

Please check your inbox as i nave sent you a p.m.

Well it has been an hour or so. The dashboard says it is "detecting" the IP address, but the email test still times out. Nslookup also shows the FQDN is still on the old IP address.

For anyone facing the same issue, the problem was that the DNS set on the PBX machine was not resolving activations.3cx.com correctly and the IP was not updating. Since the mail server count not match the request with the correct IP it rejected the request. Once the DNS was fixed a restart of the services updated the IP and Emails now work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.