Voicemail Flow Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Austin McKenzie, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austin McKenzie

Hi 3CX community!

I'm relatively new to 3CX. I'm an IT admin for a small company and we are currently using FreePBX. I demo'd 3CX many years ago and didn't think much of it... I've been demoing the latest release of the free version and I'm completely blown away! 3CX is awesome! I'm very close to migrating us to 3CX Standard edition but have a unique call routing scenario I need guidance with.

Our current call routing set up is as follows:
    Incoming Call > IVR > Options 1-4 (sales, customer service, etc) > unique ring group (sales, customer service, etc) > If no answer, call goes to a FreePBX "announcement" with the respective departments voicemail greeting. After the greeting (from the FreePBX "announcement" module) plays, the call is dropped into the owners voicemail box without playing his personal greeting.

Is there a way to replicate this in 3CX? The goal is that the owner only has to check ONE voicemail box. If absolute worst comes to worst, I figured I can just create a "dummy extension" for a general voicemail box that all the hunt\ring groups CFNA into. The owner could just check his voicemail and the additional general mailbox. However, I'd really like to avoid this if possible since the greetings wouldn't be unique to the department.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Also, I know they are only legacy supported but what is everyones experience with VVX310's and VVX410's? That's what we are currently using and would love to keep them if we can get them working well. If they don't play well, we are considering purchasing T46G's.

#1 Austin McKenzie, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

Hi Austin,

I don't see an issue with the call flow. The system will support this fairly easily. IVR - Ring group or Queue and then a destination of no answer.

On that note if you want a VM to be left your best bet I think is to setup an dummy extension for the Queue or Ring group and as the destination of no answer select send to "voice mail box for extension".

You can also see how to setup a group VM for a ring group or queue here:
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/group-voicemail/

On the note of your Polycoms they will work however you need to set them up using DHCP option 66 for provisioning:https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/dhcp-option-66/

They will not support PnP provisioning or provisioning across an SBC or STUN if you are using a cloud system (VPN & DHCP options only). Also you will not get CTI mode with the 3CX Soft Client, the "Make Call" Feature will be available however.

I agree Yealink is a good option and is fully supported, however the T46G has now been replaced by the T46S model, although the T46G is still supported if you have old handsets.

And finally if you are looking at migrating from FreePBX you can migrate your configuration using this guide: https://www.3cx.com/docs/free-pbx-converter/

YiannisH_3CX likes this.
  3. Austin McKenzie

Followed the above instructions, worked like a charm!

One more quick question... when I installed and set up the system, I selected the option for 4 digit extensions like we were already using on FreePBX. We decided to move to 3 digit extensions. I know that I have to reinstall 3CX to do so but how does that work with already having a paid license? Can I just spin up a new machine and install the ISO and use my current license key?

Thanks again!!

4. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

Officially no. Changing the digit length is not possible once the PBX is installed.

There are other forum posts that cover this subject but I believe the recommended way from 3CX would be to export your extensions to an Excel document, install a new PBX and select the new digit length. You can then edit the extension numbers in the Excel doc, and import them in the new PBX.

5. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You can install 3CX using the same licence on a new machine, just make sure that the original installation is not running as you cannot have 2 instances with the same licence running at the same time. Your licence key is bound to your FQDN so when you use that to install on a different machine the same FQDN will be used unless you manually release the FQDN from the key.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.