voicemail group lists

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by apiwc, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apiwc

hi there:

how can i create voicemail group lists?

that is, if a user wants to send a voicemail to a group of extensions (e.g., sales department), how can i set that up in 3CX?

2. h2009

h2009 Member

You best of having a group ring - set then have it after a set amount of time/out of hours divert call to Vmail of a fake ext which you call 'sales'. And then users just log into the Vmail to check for messages

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. apiwc

that doesn't seem like a good option. each person in the sales dapartment must then check the voicemail in this 'fake' extension.

i want the capability to define a group ext., say '777', with 10 extensions in this group. if someone leave a voicemail for ext. 777, then each of those 10 exts. will receive the voicemail in their own box.

seems like a standard feature for voicemail to me...

4. h2009

h2009 Member

I think you've miss understood.
    You create a normal extension (which no one is logged on to)
    Then if the call group is closed/out of hours, it will divert to the Vmail of the extension. Its just one extension Vmail for all people that need it.
    Simple and easy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

The only possible solution that I can see is what h2009 already proposed.

Let's say you have 3 people in the sales dept. (ext. 200, 201 and 202). You will need to create a groupe Called something like SalesDept with a virtual ext (let's say v.ext. 700) and another extension for the Sales Dept. (ext. 777).

Then, you need to modify the settings of the SalesDept Group (700) to transfer calls to voicemail of ext 777 if the call is unanswered (or out of bussiness hours). You can route the unanswered calls to the people in the sales dept (200, 201 and 202) to be transfered to the voice mail of ext. 777.

Then, to let everybody in the sales dept. listen to voice messages, you will need to give them the password to ext 777 voice mail, so they can go and get the voice messages of ext 777.

It's probably not what you have been looking for, but I can't think of anything else to do what you want to do.

6. apiwc

Thanks for your replies and help.

i understand the concept and logic of your solution, but this would require each sales person to check TWO voicemail boxes for all of their voicemails (in this case, box 201 AND box 777). that doesn't make sense in the real world.

my current OLD PBX system has voicemail groups capability, why doesn't this bleeding-edge technology have that capability?

7. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

Well, yes and no, you could remove voice mail feature of extension 201 and the other ones and only allow them to use the 777 voice box. That way, sales dept. users won't have 2 voice box to check, but only the ext. 777 one.

I know it could be better with a voicemail group tough, I totaly agree with you on that.

8. mgmache

has anyone figured out a way to do this?

I am trying to figure out how to do it as well...

The only way I can figure out how to do it (not natively in 3cx, that is), is to create an extension for say, sales department, then have the voice mails go to email only, and the email address you have on there, is really a distribution group, so it will forward the message to X number of people, then delete the original.. that way it goes to each user in that distribution list....

9. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

Hi Apiwc,

Rather than get frustrated as I have seen many people on the forum get when a feature is not present that they're used to in their old PBX I would recommend you go to the feature-request category and request it if it already hasn't been done so. I have been evaluating the 3CX for a couple of months now, and in that short space of time I've witnessed a new major release, and also a feature I had requested. So it's constantly an evolving product, and it's not going to implement every feature, or if it does not necessarily in the same way.

Just browsing through the forum I have seen dozen of people on here frustrated, and myself included that the 3CX implements things differently, or does not do something which you might feel is fundamentally basic to a PBX. I think everyone just needs to adjust their expectations a bit, the 3CX is a different PBX and delivers on the core features that you would expect from a PBX. I have no doubt that it's feature set will get richer and more sophisticated (hopefully not undoing the biggest pro for it and it's the simple administration) and it will be able to do things like you're suggesting. The solution presented above sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Although I too would like to see a feature that you mentioned, even if it's just to have it as an option should I not have a distinct requirement for that at the moment.

Good luck with your evaluation of the 3CX - personally for me, the Pros of it being significantly cheaper, non-proprietary and not hardware or vendor dependent are big pluses that make me forgive small things it can't do. I am glad it does the core stuff right, and is stable. All the nuances, subjective bits, and features of Phone System x I think they will have a proper and formal process of introducing into the core product set, and I hope as it evolves it remains very logical and well-thought out so to use those features do not distract from it being a really easy system to administer. I might be also more forgiving as our clients requirements are fairly basic and stock, however our internal requirements are quite demanding, but overall it hits the spot and I am predominately comparing it with the likes of Notel BCM 50, Panasonic, and Avaya.

Hope that helps,

Lewis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.