Voicemail-PIN only for external requests

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by mamo, Sep 26, 2016.

Voicemail-PIN only for external requests 5 5 3votes
5/5, 3 votes

1. mamo

Aug 22, 2016
    I don't want to enter a pin every time I check my messages via my internal extensions (and at the moment have no need to secure users internally from one another). Therefore I enabled "Disable Voicemail PIN Authentication".

However, I also want to assign an external DID to my voicemail extension. Of course, for a number that is accessible from outside, having no security in place is a no-go. Luckily 3CX seems to know that as well and prevents outside-access to unprotected mailboxes. It will promt for a pin, but will state "invalid pin" (after entering the correct but disabled pin).
    Now obviously this behavior has one big downside: For Voicemail boxes with disabled pin, there seems to be no possibility for outside-access at all.

The pin-setting only allows for enabled or disabled. I suggest to add an option to differentiate PIN-Requirement between external and internal calls.
    As an alternative, one could also consider to make it the default behavior to ignore the pin-disabled setting for external calls (as it now already is the case) AND accept the pin that is stored in the settings, regardless of it being "disabled".
  2. red45

Nov 4, 2014
    This is a great idea - seems very intuitive and should be simple to enable, especially the alternative default behavior.