• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

VoiceMail Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecwilson

Free User
Reaction score
We just installed 3cx v9 and now the system is not sending out voice mails at all. We have checked our email setting & they
are setup just like v7 was but it still works but v9 does not? Any one else having this problem? We are running win2008st

ecwilson

When you installed version 9, did you restore a backup of version 7? If so, that may be your problem. I've seen really quirky issues with restoring from backups of older versions especially with a spread of 7 to 9. If the architecture of a specific function has changed significantly, the restored settings may not line up totally.

I went from 7 to 9 a number of months ago with no issues what so ever, not to say that some could not crop up. You might want to try removing your email settings, applying, then re-entering the settings and applying again. Does the 3CX log give any indications of an email failure or other network issues that could be preventing messages going out?

Yes, I've jumped versions before and for the most part it worked. However, I had issues with Exchange connections and a few other things that just didn't work until I pulled all the settings out and reapplied them again. So, I'd agree with leejor that you might have to remove some or all of the email settings and reapply.

Thanks, This is a fresh install of v9 plus win2008 on a new server. But I will try to reset the email settings and see
what happens?

ecwilson

You can test the email connection by sending a welcome email for an extension (preferably to you). It saves waiting for voicemails to come in or keep recording them.

See if you can telnet on port 25 to the email server from the pbx

Hi,

3cx is simply not designed to be upgraded in that manner, you will lost most of your settings and make it a bit wonky, Instead of trying to fix something why dont you do it the proper way from start. this way you wont have to trobleshoot a hidden issue.

V7 > v8 > V9

5 minute work wil lsave you hours of head scratching.

Thanks mfm but why would I install v7 and go thru all that extra work when this is a fresh install? Also the server that
is running v7 is still live and will be wiped clean next month. (win2k box) Never the less we still have the same problem
as before email are not being sent out. I will try to ping out and see what happens. Well nothing worked but we now know
the last web server cp upgrade changed something because now v7 server will not send out emails. Does any one know
how to setup 3cx so where it can email thru the google email system?

ecwilson

You could have installed ver. 8, then applied your ver. 7 backup, backed up to a new file and then applied that to a ver. 9 install. I know i wasn't supposed to go directly from 7 to 9, but I had nothing to loose (except some time) as i was slill running 7 on a standby machine. If it didn't work I was going to go the ver. 8 step, in between.

However, from the sounds of it, you have other issues, preventing emails, since the server upgrade. I'm not sure that you will be able to use the google mail SMTP server for outgoing emails as it requires TLS or SSL.

Here is a link to the site on how to configure other mail programmes to work with Gmail. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

What email server are you using? Is it yours or hosted?

This was a new install & a new servers, so going from v7-v8-v9 we thought was not needed. The email server is ours
(web server) CentOS V5.5/DirectAdmin V3.7 control panel. Yes I know google has a different setup than most email
systems but I just asked to see if someone had made it work sence we last tried 2 years ago?

ecwilson

v7 - v8 - v9 is not needed. I think there was confusion when you mentioned v7 and people thought it an upgrade.

We dont use CentOS so I cannot comment. I can suggest Telnet on port 25 from the pbx server to the email server to make sure all is ok there. And I can suggest you use a command line to try and send a message too.

You can also look in the voiceboxmanager log and see if you can see a failed message there.

Thanks I will try that and see what happens? I have also noticed that I can't update the software it keeps telling me that
3CX is up todate?

Regards
ecwilson

Well we are still having issues for now? :evil:

Regards
ecwilson

ecwilson said:
Well we are still having issues for now? :evil:

Regards
ecwilson
But did you try the suggestions we mentioned? If so what were the results.

If not, do you need help? Do you have paid support? We offer two support offerings, hourly and monthly unlimted. Contact us for more information

Thanks Mark Shehan

We don't have a support plan in place & it seems the problem is with the web server. It is not letting 3cx do a relay to
client's email address & there was a update to DirectAdmin from v1.36 to 1.37. When we tell 3cx to send email direct
to the email box on the web server everything works fine. So if we can't figure this out we will need to look at another
email setup? Telenet to port 25 is fine but I did not check the voiceboxmanager logs yet? What are you using to handle
emails?

Regards
ecwilson

We are a hosting provider so we use Exchange 2010 SP1.

Glad to give you some email prices on hosted exchange. And I know it works with 3cx.

ecwilson said:
Thanks Mark Shehan

We don't have a support plan in place & it seems the problem is with the web server. It is not letting 3cx do a relay to
client's email address & there was a update to DirectAdmin from v1.36 to 1.37. When we tell 3cx to send email direct
to the email box on the web server everything works fine. So if we can't figure this out we will need to look at another
email setup? Telenet to port 25 is fine but I did not check the voiceboxmanager logs yet? What are you using to handle
emails?

Regards
ecwilson

Can't you set up the email/web server to accept email from the 3cx internal ip (if on the same lan - external otherwise). That wont make it an open relay but does allow relay from the 3cx server. Then make double sure you have no public smtp (or ssl or TLS) access to the 3cx server (no need) so it wont be an open relay.

Hi Mark

Not quite sure how to do that but our 3cx's are based in two different data centers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't you set up the email/web server to accept email from the 3cx internal ip
(if on the same lan - external otherwise). That wont make it an open relay but
does allow relay from the 3cx server. Then make double sure you have no public
smtp (or ssl or TLS) access to the 3cx server (no need) so it wont be an open relay.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our email system for all client's is Google Hosted domains & when we looked at MS
exchange it was a bit pricey for the setup we wanted? For 3 years the whole system
(3cx/webserver/google) worked just fine. But now I have no hair to pull out but I am
still pulling anyway. :oops:

Our pricing starts at $7.50 per mailbox per month for 25Gb, outlook 2010 (or 2011 for mac) and some other nice features including activesync.

We are about to launch a free version with some limited features too, but we are also launching our VOIP Provider service this month and this is taking a priority.

Can you look at the 3cx server and in the logs is a voiceboxmanager log. It is a text file. See what it is saying as it should be logging the error from the email server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.