Voicemail Skipping

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by iamgreen, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamgreen

Hello!

I recently deployed a 60 seat 3CX V12 project and it works great with the exception of one issue.

Occasionally users will report that Voicemails are skipping (1-3 second silence) when playing back messages. This happens in the TUI listening interface and in the attached audio file when it's delivered via emial.

The server is running as a Hyper-V guest which we've done before in other deployments. The guest OS WAS Windows 7, but then redeployed it as Windows Server 2012 R2 after these skipping issues started appearing.

The ONLY odd thing I can think of is that the HOST OS (Windows Server 2012 R2) is using the built in OS NIC teaming to increase bandwidth throughput and redundancy.

Anyone seen this skipping issue before?

Thanks!

2. engtech

I've had a recent complaint of a similar nature. In this case though, it's not silence, it's almost like someone is rapping (badly) and what would be 3 to 4 seconds of audio gets squished into 1 to 2 seconds of audio and plays really fast.

Still trying to gather more info and samples to investigate. Client has only provided one so far, but says it happens often. In this case, it's a cheap Windows 7 Pro computer w/ 2GB RAM, and 3CX 12 with latest SP. Client has Verizon for telco, bring in digital circuit broken out into analog lines, then converted back to digital/voip w/ Patton 4114 gateways. I'll let you know if I learn anything more.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Something similar (may however be totally unrelated) came up a while ago. It involved the use of a SSD and, as I recall, turned out to be BIOS settings incompatibility with that disk. You may be experiencing an issue where the audio not being buffered correctly or written to the disk in a "timely" fashion.

4. gbardissi

We run 3cx on physical blade servers on ssd with no issues

I have seen this issue myself on vm's and opted not to to vm for quickly issues like this.

5. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I had it on an earlier model of SSD on a WIN 7 machine (not VM). it was a OCS Vertex model 3 of SSD. The Bios had to do with ACHI, but this was not my issue. The issue was that the drive was not using TRIM -

You may want to run “fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotif” using an elevated command prompt. If this results in "DisableDeleteNotify = 0", that means that the OS is using TRIM and thus is treated as an SSD ; otherwise the drive is being treated as a HDD. TRIM is an internal function of the drive, It is used in conjunction with the OS so that unused blocks are known. CrystalDiskInfo will allow you to see the details of the SSD and whether it supports TRIM. This functionality prevents the need to write sectors as being unused, etc. and therefore prolongs the life.

The issue was that it was not using TRIM and therefor had a bunch of blocks that were fragmented as well as having to keep up with the drive status. This slowed things down on the read as it also skipped on system generated messages that had been fine for a couple of years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.