Voicemail timeout at 24 hours

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by VirtualMIS, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VirtualMIS

Using Ver 9 RC1 and have noticed that if you do not listen to a voicemail within 24 hours the message waiting light goes out and the entry for that voicemail in MyPhone is listed in a strikeout font. Looking at the vmail_<ext>_<ext>_<datestamp>.xml file I see that the status flags have changed and the entry "<Removed>Datestamp</Removed> was added.

Is this intended behavior? Some kind of a daily reset? Is there a way to turn it off?

Matt

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

We will look into this to check it's validity. I'll let you know as soon as possible.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Yep, this is a bug, we are working on fixing this for the next release.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. VirtualMIS

Thanks, I will look for the fix in the next release.

Matt

5. VirtualMIS

What is the status of this issue? Any fix yet?

Matt

6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

When a new update with the fix is released, you will know about it as your PBX will show that a new update is available.

7. VirtualMIS

I have a sales opportunity that is stalled waiting for this issue to be resolved. It would be very helpful to know when this issue will be resolved and available in production code releases.

8. cliffgolt

Any updates or fix on the this voicemail bug ?

9. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

Sorry for my previous post, this is not a bug.
    After talking this over with the developers, this is how the Voicemail was designed.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That would mean that any message left Friday afternoon (and no other message(s) left all weekend) would not alert the user Monday morning. If this were a resources issue I could understand a certain timeout period. But a great number of businesses shut down for two days a week (and not everyone takes their laptop home to check for voicemails), it would make more sense to increase the timeout to about 72 hours, minimum.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That's why i said..."If this were a resources issue", otherwise I can see no reason for a time-out at all. Unless the voice-mails "magically vanished" on a regular basis.

12. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Same here !. Also just 72 hours does not cover any holiday or paid time off, when a user could be away from the office for up to two weeks or so.

I wasn't aware of this 'feature' of 3CX, and by peoples shock it looks like this was not the case with prior versions of it ?. I'll leave a voicemail on a test ext and see what happens as I'd like to see this in the flesh.

13. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I was not aware that this was a "feature" either. This sure explains a few odd phonecalls I have had from customers. This "feature" needs to be "fixed".

14. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Added the ideas.3cx.com

http://3cx.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Fix-MWI-Timeout-feature/77186-9854

15. vsefcik

I am not having this problem. I'm using Aastra SIP phones and I set the "Explicit MWI Subscription Period" to 1800 seconds (instead of the default 86400 seconds, or one day) and the phones re-subscribe to MWI Notify messages every half-hour. When a phone sends a Subscribe, 3CX responds with a Notify which refreshes the MWI lamp and stutter tone on the Aastra. So, you might check if your phones have a similar option to re-subscribe to MWI messages and set the timeout period shorter to see if the voice mail will be retained.

16. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

I can confirm that this is happening to myself as well.

I have a Polycom SPIP 650 on my desk next to me, and just whilst I was browsing this forum the message lamp went out for a message left 24 hours ago (noticed it out of the corner of my eye) + the key for the line now just shows a phone icon and not an envelope + on the MyPhone portal the VM is shown with the font being struck through.

I'm probably about three weeks away from going live with 3CX v9, and my users (and Boss !) will kill me over this 'feature'. This is the first BIG problem I've noticed with 3CX, which is a shame as apart from this I'm very happy with it. Is someone from 3CX able to confirm that this was not the case with v8 ?.

Regarding vsefcik's post, I'll have to look at the Polycom SIP Administrators guide and see if there is a similar function. If not what can I do ?, create a paid support call about this with 3CX ?.

Also I'll go over the 3CX v9 documentation and see if it mentions the 24 hour timeout anywhere as people should be aware of this up-front before they make any purchase of the software.

17. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Looking at the web based guides, such as http://www.3cx.com/user-manual/voicemail/ (NEW LINK) and the PDF '3CXPhoneSystemManual9.pdf' (NO LONGER AVAILABLE), there no mention of the 24 hour timeout.

However, I'm more concerned that nothing explains why the voice mail shown on the MyPhone portal is struck through. Of course you can put two and two together and sort of work it out, but nothing at all explicity states why this has occured.

I do like 3CX but I find the documentation available very poor in some aspects, and at times it smacks of a lack of attention to detail ?.

18. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Well the Polycom SoundPoint IP phones don't have such an option so I'm screwed, unless 3CX bring out a patch within the next couple of weeks that allows an admin to alter the default voicemail timeout value.

19. MichaelB

MichaelB Member
    3CX Support

Hi, with the next update this will be changed.
    Thanks and Regards

20. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Thank you Michael.

Is there an expected date for this update ? (SP3 ?).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.