voicemail to email does not work

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Roshen, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roshen

Hi after upgrading to v9, voicemail to email does not work as expected.

i have found that when the extention option is set to "send email notification only" the email is sent OK, but when set to "send vmail as attachment" or "send as attachment and delete from mbox" no email is sent from 3cx.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Roshen

2. coldtech

It's working for me.

Are you sure your email server or client is not eating the attachments?

3. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

It's definitely working here.
    You most probably have some problem with your SMTP server.

Try checking the C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Logs\3CXVoiceBoxManager.log and see what's happening.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Roshen

Thanks for pointer, heres an excerpt..

seems that if i include the .wav attachment this happens *most* of the time, where as wothout the attachment and with the "welcome email" there is no issue.

can the timeout be set higher?

12:46:30.957|Inf(03)| alive (iter=49815)
    12:47:32.654|Inf(03)| Creating email notification for 2XX
    12:47:32.654|Inf(03)| Attaching vmail_649XXXXXXX_2XX_20101208234721 to email
    12:47:32.654|Inf(03)| Sending email notification to XXXX@mobile-mentor.com using mail.XXXXX.com
    12:49:12.669|Exc(03)| System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: The operation has timed out.
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
    at GenericUtilsNet.Mail.Send()
    at VoiceMailScanner.EmailNotif.SendMail()
    at VoiceMailScanner.BoxesMonitor.ProcessList(List`1 list)
    12:49:12.669|Inf(03)| Email to XXXX@mobile-mentor.com failed
    12:49:12.677|Inf(03)| Save DNInfo ext=299 Tot=2 New=1
    12:50:14.372|Inf(03)| alive (iter=49823)

thanks - Roshen

5. Roshen

bunp? anybody?

6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Your mail.XXXXX.com mail server is probably down...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. AdgTech

Is your SMTP relay under your control? If so, you'll definitely want to check out the allowed attachment/message size for SMTP. If it's happening "most" of the time, but not all the time with the .WAV file attached, and not having any issues with no attachments, my assumption would be the attachment is exceeding the mail size limit.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how 3CX handles that error, so it could just be "operation timed out".

8. Roshen

the mail server is not down... i can send email OK, only affects email with the .wav attached..
    we use a hosted excahnge provider, so the SMTP server is not under our control. I have checked the size limit, and it cant be that, the limit is 10MB, whereas the .wav files are usually around 600KB.

I have also tried our ISP mail relay with the exact same issues.

I guess i will have to try a new 3cx install and see how that goes..

9. AdgTech

What provider are you using, if you're willing to share?

Are you saying you have the hosts information entered into 3CX or do you have a relay set?

10. Roshen

We use an exchange hosting company called BIZO, our outlook clients connect over outlook anywhere, but we can also connect with POP, IMAP and OWA.
    I have tried their SMTP server, mail.bizoservices.com, with authentication

We use Callplus as our SIP trunk and internet service provider, over a 10MB fiber connection, and i have the same issues using their SMTP server, smtp.callplus.net.nz, with no authentication (as our IP is provided by them)

yes i have entered the hosts information under gerneral > mail server in the 3cx console.

today, I have restored the old v8 3cx to a test machine and tested with both SMTP settings, that works OK..

11. AdgTech

I don't know if something changed between V8 and V9 in regards to the email send portion, but you've got pretty much the exact same setup as I do.

I use a hosted exchange provider (Microsoft BPOS) and had an issue where V9 couldn't even send welcome emails when I configured it to connect directly to the provider. To rectify it, I enabled the SMTP relay in IIS 6 (if you're using server 2008/R2 you'll need to add the SMTP feature which will install IIS6. SMTP relay was removed from IIS 7)and configured it to connect to my email host. I then configured 3CX to simply point to 127.0.0.1 (the local machine) to send emails.

So essentially to send a mail, 3CX drops it to the local SMTP relay which then pushes it on to my provider which then delivers it.

It does add a step in the middle, but I haven't had a single issue with it. You may want to look into trying that. I'd be willing to help you out if you get stuck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.