Implemented Voicemail transcription - IN CONSIDERATION

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by techclarity, Oct 30, 2015.

Implemented Voicemail transcription - IN CONSIDERATION 5 5 53votes
5/5, 53 votes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techclarity

Would love to see voicemail transcribed to text and sent via e-mail. Have just meet with two prospects in the last two weeks that are looking at several vendors and this is something that they offer.

Brandan Hermo, us1, rlanier and 2 others like this.
  2. 12494

12494 Member

Re: Voicemail transcription

It might be a little hokey but when we need this we have client set up google voice and have 3CX send calls to GV instead of email. GV is set to DoNotDisturb and their VM takes the call immediately and does the transcription and email.

Allen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. red45

This has become a must have feature to stay competitive. Everyone is doing this from ringcentral to tmobile, and customers are asking for it. May also be called visual voicemail, voicemail to text, etc. Hope to see this option soon...

4. 12494

12494 Member

Wants versus deliverables. My experience with email transcription is from Google Voice. I have to say that I can only describe the reality of these transcriptions as 'hysterical'. Often I cannot even tell the gist of the message from the transcription.

Regards,
    Allen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    craigreilly likes this.
  5. red45

Transcription accuracy with T-Mobile has been excellent. Of course it's not perfect but it can be done and is very useful.

6. sandiego

It also seems this would be incredibly easy to add now. Microsoft analytical services now has a simple API to submit a sound file of up to 2 minutes for processing into text. Really, all it would take is a check box to turn it on, a place to enter the api key, a check to see if the voicemail is less than 2 minutes long, upload of the wav file to microsoft, and insert the response into the email. Let the end customer sign up for the cost of it. at $9 per hour of conversion its cheap.

7. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I think visual voicemail is more of just a screen showing your voicemail info: from, time, length. But the actual message is still a file to listen to.

8. uptime1

uptime1 New Member

While I'm a stickler for reliability, how well it works is besides the point when other competitors list it in their feature set. Plus, everyone is experienced with voice recognition being imperfect. And, competitor's voice rec doesn't work any better. Not having the feature it is an obvious deficiency and instantly disqualifies 3CX in competitive bids.

Mike Hammett and parachutech like this.
  9. stalley

If your user is an Exchange shop, 3cx integrates fantastic with Exchange 2013 (or 2010) which provides the transcription - with the usual occasional randomness.

10. DSXDATA

DSXDATA New Member

When you have a talking dog, you can hardly complain about its grammar.

Mike Hammett likes this.
  11. michaelholt

For one of my users, I set up a new phone number in Twilio. Then, using Twilio's scripting language called TWIML and a web file host, I created a script to answer a call, play a message, then record, then transcribe the message, then email the text and also email the audio file. It's a little bit of a mousetrap but Twilio is rock solid.

The only downside to this is the accuracy of the recording depending on how clear is the speech of the recorder.

Cost:
    Phone Number - $1 per month
    Transcription - $.05 per minute (2 minute limit)
    Recording - $.0025 per minute

Here's the twilio link: https://www.twilio.com/docs/api/twiml/record

Of course, I would much rather 3CX do voicemail transcription natively.

12. techclarity

And Apple just announced that iOS 10 will have voicemail transcription so now all users will be asking for it for voicemails from 3CX.

13. red45

Going into the 2nd year since this request was made. Can we at least get a response of why or why not it's technically possible? In the meantime, we'll be forced to pay extra for services like this, endorsed by our very own Kerry Garrison?
    voicemail-transcription-service-beta-30372.html
    https://www.myscribbit.com/
    MyScribbit transcribes the voicemail file from the email and then sends you both the transcribed text as well as the original file. By receiving the voicemail as transcribed text, you can read the message much faster than having to open up the sound file and listen to it, this can dramatically increase your productivity.

14. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

This is a very nice feature and one that we will definitely do as time permits

15. red45

Thank you Nick!! Also, apparently myscribbit is no longer supported, per vitelity support (the parent company).

Nick Galea likes this.
  16. parachutech

As soon as this feature is enabled, I'm jumping ship from Vonage to 3CX.

Nick Galea likes this.
  17. PLewis@bcradesign.com

And this is great until you decide to take your exchange to Exchange online / office365. Then you revert back to 3cx voicemail, and your users lose transcription. Yes, it's sometimes quirky and sometimes hilarious, but about 90% of the time, I get the gist of what the caller was saying and I'm done with the voicemail. instant gratification becomes, "I guess I need to listen to the voicemail." stupid. It would be great to have it done via 3cx.

parachutech likes this.
  18. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

But only with an enterprise + standard CAL...

19. techclarity

We are getting more requests for this since most other VoIP providers have it and the iOS devices now have it as well.

parachutech likes this.
  20. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Google has an API to do it as well and it would seem easiest for us to use this. Definitely on our radar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.