Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Implemented Voicemail WAV file compatibility with GMAIL web player

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by radiio, Jul 25, 2016.

Implemented Voicemail WAV file compatibility with GMAIL web player 5 5 3votes
5/5, 3 votes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radiio

Hello,

Since an update back in version 12.5 there was a change to the voicemail wav file compression codec to keep the file sizes smaller.
    Several of our customers user Gmail webmail for their e-mail and they get voicemails sent to e-mail.
    The default option in Gmail is to play attached files in their web player.
    The 3CX voicemails will not play in the Gmail web player.
    i have to think Gmail is using a standard HTML 5 player so we are surprised that this isn't compatible.

Is there a way that these wav files can be made compatible with the web player?
    I've also found that when a voicemail is forwarded to our FreshDesk helpdesk system we are unable to play it as it also uses a web player via amazon and it cannot play the 3cx create wav files.

Is it possible to give an option to go back to the old compression codec for these few systems where this seems to be such a problem?

2. carolinainnovative

Yes, please, this too!

I understand why the change was made - but really, please, let us change it back for voicemail storage.

3. radiio

Hello,
    Is there any update on this yet?
    Will this be something that will be available in the next service pack?
    Many customers have issues because of this format and it would be great to give your users a choice.
    Many small systems have 10 year + of voicemail recording space even with the old codec used.

Is there perhaps even some registry settings we can alter to get the old format back?
    Maybe something that isn't documented?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes please. Soooooo annoying when using Gmail as there is 300% more clicks to be able to listen to voice mail. At least make it system configurable so the administrator can choose.

5. radiio

Hello,
    Has anyone from 3CX reviewed this request?
    Is this something that is going to be integrated?
    It seems really silly that several online web media players are not able to play the 3CX wav files.
    This is very frustrating for many customers who use GMAIL and try to listen to their voicemails in there.
    They have to download and open the file vs being able to quickly and easily preview it.

This request has been up for months and I would appreciate some feedback from 3CX on it.

Jeremy Gruman likes this.
  6. agilis

Yes please respond to this.

Is there anyway to convert the voicemail from .wav to .mp3 in the 3CX system or not??

7. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Unfortunately there is no way of converting the file format prior to it being sent, so this topic is in the correct place.

We preferred to replace PCM encoding with ADPCM instead of MP3 codec back in V12.5 for a few reasons, but the main one was that MP3 is not a free codec.

So just to summarize, the feature request is:

Provide an option to select whether to the Recordings and/or VMail files to be generated in PCM (uncompressed) or ADPCM (compressed).

Any suggestions on this are of course welcome.

coreybrett81 likes this.
  8. vicero

I second this request. I've always been able to listen to my voicemails via gmail on any on premises pbx. Can't with 3cx currently

9. radiio

It's sad that this used to work for years with 3CX and now does not.
    I've been told it has to do with them moving away from MP3 to save money on licensing costs.

All we are looking for is a file format that is compatible with the Google Web player, it seems to me that there must be some form of open format that allows this....

10. coreybrett81

If MP3 is not an option, what about AAC (.m4a) ?
    I believe it's licencing is more open than MP3.

11. Patrick Hogan10

Make this possible please.

12. Adam Jasinski

Yes, this needs to happen. The audio files should be encoded in a way that Chrome is able to play them natively. Especially since Chrome has the largest market share of all the other browsers.

13. coreybrett81

Any progress on this?

Jeremy Gruman likes this.
  14. Jeremy Gruman

We have three sites with 3CX (1 with v14, 2 with v15). This limitation is frustrating for our users and seems shortsighted on 3CX's part. The lack of response or action is troubling.

15. rhoenle@doe.org

Any news on this? This has been a constant source of irritation for our users since the change was made. If it had never worked properly, that would be one thing.

-Ryan

16. ivank

3CX Support

Please check new beta, WAV format has been changed to PCM as it used to be.

17. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

This has been implemented in V15.5. As per request voicemail and recording files have been reverted back to being recorded in PCM format instead of ADPCM for greater compatibility of media players on all platforms.

icns01 and coreybrett81 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.