Voicemail WAV File format from v12.5 upwards

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by start, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. start

It appears that the format for the voicemail wav attachments has changed.

Is there a specific reason for this, as they now longer play on Android phones of Google Chromebooks without having 3rd part apps to open them.

2. AndreasP_3CX

AndreasP_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi start

The wav voicemail attachment encoding has been changed from PCM to Adaptive PCM, as this will allow you anywhere from 40-70% saves on hard drive space. Any audio player will be able to play back Adaptive PCM however the default google player does not. Since APCM is not a new codec either this is an oversight on their part. Let me put it this way, even my file browsing program on my Nexus can play ADPCM , just download any audio player and you will have it. Are you trying to play those through the Gmail app?

Best Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bmillerflcn

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but this should be a user configurable option. Forcing a codec is bad practice.

We did experience issues with this change that we had no way of knowing would happen until it was too late.

4. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

This continues to be an issue with v15.

Look.. saying "get another audio player" does effectively address the issue with Google's own music player or even Google Play.. but you are missing the majority of what a normal (Google..) Android user would use.. the vanilla/default music player app on their Android device. That is why this is an issue. Users don't load apps to play voicemail.. they expect the voicemail to just play.

Aside.. VLC is something every desktop and Android should have.. period. With it as my chosen handler, I can open the attached voicemail from either the native mail app or Outlook (the phone app..) and VLC plays it just fine.

While this works for us geeks.. your typical user or exec won't get why this is needed. You're missing the boat.

5. carolinainnovative

Agreed. I was really hoping this was "fixed" in 15... apparently not, since it is the FIRST post I see re 15.

6. coreybrett81

Attn: 3CX developers- We need normal PCM back ASAP! This is a real buzz kill for Google Apps customers.

7. start

Agreed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.