Voicemal/Digital Assistant recording functionality

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by instantexpert, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantexpert

What I think I know right now:

-There is no way to record a Digital Assistant prompt through the handset. This one is mildly annoying because I have to record and edit on my PC instead of just recording at the phone.
    -Much more importantly, I can't find any way to playback my recordings of self-identification prompt (maybe voicemail greeting too but I recorded my message awhile ago and can't remember if I could play that back or not)
    -Voicemail PIN is not secure as it is plain-text within the 3CX management console.

Am I missing something? It seems there is a serious lack of basic functionality in these two components.

Leon

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. William400

William400 Well-Known Member

Hi

As to the recordings of a DR see http://www.3cx.com/forums/remotely-record-digital-receptionist-message-8504.html#p43454 .

The Self Identification prompt is the one used for 'Call by Name'. There is no playback for it. You can find thisin the 3CX\Data\IVR folder for the extension in question.

You can playback here your VM prompt by calling *4extension . The *4 is a commercial feature function only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. instantexpert

I found the appropriate folder on the phone server and made a network share so my users can hear their self ID messages. I know it *should* be hard to mess up saying your name but without confirmation it is hard to be certain that your recording is up to the quality of having a potential customer hear it.

At worst, this lack of features/polish are annoyances which I can live with but still hope they get addressed. However, I'm a small business of just under 25 people. I'm surprised my boss is OK with this lack of polish. Prompts aren't terribly consistent, not all information is accessible through the menu tree, voicemail inconsistency. If I were an enterprise class decision-maker, I might consider this for an Exchange integrated solution but I would never do so for a turnkey 3CX only solution.

I initially intended to integrate with MS Exchange but, even though the polish of the Exchange auto-attendent and integration with our email system was fantastic, there were a few limitations that my boss couldn't live with. The Exchange AA doesn't just allow you to dial an extension if you know the number right from the menu tree, that combined with the need to navigate a menu tree to get to dial by name was a deal killer for him. We would have used Exchange for voicemail but 3CX AAs lose the ability to dial by name because you can no longer record a Self ID prompt with the 3CX voicemail system. Almost as importantly I like the peace of mind of having a single point solution. If my exchange crashes, my voicemail doesn't go down if it is all in a 3CX box. However, by going 3CX only for VM, I do lose the slick two-way integration of email and voicemail which was one of my selling points for 3CX. :(

I hope this thread isn't coming off as whiny and complaining. I want the 3CX people to know my user experiences so they can make a better product going forward.

4. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Leon,

You have options to save SelfID and voice mail invitation message in voice mail box menu.
    option '2' is available in those menus. It plays just recorded message (before save) or plays current prompt/selfID message (before starting record). Sorry for inconvenience, but, looks like, it is missed in prompt :(

Thanks
    P.S.Basic functionality of PBX is to deliver call to your extension and to provide ability to make call.
    Voicemail and "customization" is advanced functionality.
    Please don't mix definitions :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.