voicemal FIFO or LIFO?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by notsogrand, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notsogrand

Can someone tell me if voicemail playback is first-in-first out or last-in-last-out? Is it configurable?

I couldn't find this mentioned in the documentation. I have users of another system and it's a sore point with them that the other system only plays back LIFO.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I think it is LIFO, which irritates me a bit as the oldest caller should be the first one you hear.
    I haven't come across any configuration for this, not to say there isn't.

3. notsogrand

Thanks for the info. I like listening to messages is order too.

It's an irritation for my users too. They have to record every message in a paper log. The voice mail system says "you have X" messages. The have to skip X/3 pages (it's preprinted logbook with 3 messages per page). They start at the last spot and write down the messages working backwards because it's LIFO. Of course there are hang-ups or other problems and it messes them up. Different people do this same task, and for various reasons, they prefer to do it via the phone rather than via a computer.

My cell phone and other VOIP services use FIFO. Apparently 3CX doesn't. The system these users are using now is the Grandstream 5024. Their tech support people said that to change this, they would have to change their file system. That makes no sense to me.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone from 3CX can tell us if this option is available in the current release. If it is not, you may want to submit the suggestion to ...http://3cx.ideascale.com/

Having the ability to change the order ( and it would probably be a global change) that the messages are presented, sounds like a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.