VOIP client - desk phone mode

Discussion in 'Windows' started by JamesC, Dec 18, 2007.

1. JamesC

VOIP client just doesn't work!

I'm not sure if I've I'm doing something stupid, or if it's the VOIP client's fault but I can't seem to get it to react to anything that happens on 3CX.

Setup is as follows:

PC running Windows Vista Business and Outlook 2007
    Grandstream GXP2000 hardphone
    Extension no: 209

The VOIP client logs in to the server ok and picks up my name but if someone calls my extension the client does nothing.

The TAPI doesn't work from Outlook. (The status in Outlook says "Dialing" for about half a second and then nothing happens).

And I can't actually do anything in the VOIP client. The Actions menu is permanently greyed out.

What's going on?!

2. bhavank

bhavank New Member

i hope you are using free version that's the reason why action menu is been greyed out. for those functionalities you require a paid version of 3CX.

Secondly the 3cx voip client is beta and has some issue even I am facing the outlook 2007 issue. It will be sorted out in final relase. but i am not sure whether it will be workable with free version or not.

3. Mori

Mori New Member

Re: VOIP client just doesn't work!

As long as you use the Grandstream your Client must be set to "Deskphone Mode".

Use the same login info as your Grandstream phone.
    This makes Client work like the 3CX Callassistant.

4. bhavank

bhavank New Member

please install 3cx call assistance on the client system on which you have outllok 2007 and then configure the 3cx call assitance to the same account with the 3cx voip client. Now try calling from outlook 2007 it worked for me. In my case instead of voip client account setting I had IP Phone account setting configured in 3CX Call Assistance so a call did originate from Outlook to the IP phone ----> to called number..

5. JamesC

I am using the free version (so that's fair enough re. the action menu) however I also have it in deskphone mode, plus I have Call Assistant installed and running and it still doesn't do anything.

(Note that without Call Assistant running it still doesn't work).

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Desk phone mode

James,

Do you have it in desk phone mode? If yes, it only acts as a monitor. If you want to use phone functions, then you must run it in SIP phone mode. Its still possible to have a grandstream side by side with 3cx VOIP client in SIP phone mode. You must just decide which SIP phone will make or take the call and stick to that one.

The Call assistant had some functions which allowed you to 'switch' - but its not SIP standard based and would not scale so we dropped that....

7. JamesC

Yes, it's definitely in Desk Phone mode.

My point is that it doesn't even work as a monitor. If I call the desk phone then the VOIP client program does nothing. Isn't it supposed to say who's calling me?!

8. Wardy

Wardy New Member

I am also using the 3CX VoIP Client in desk phone mode and all my lines and extensions are grey, should these not be indicating the status?

9. garrycarpenter

I am having the exact same problem.....

I have tried the released version of the VOIP client and the new Bete, both do the same....
    In headset mode all works fine (grey extensions as expected), I can make and recieve calls.
    In DeskPhone mode nothing works, the status shows as unknown and not on hook and the client does not respond to any incomming or outgoing calls.....

This may be a small issue but is going to stop the roll-out I am due to start in 2 weeks.....

HELP!

10. Philco

Philco Member

I have just installed the latest client and I am having the same issue as above, and the previous release worked ok.

Phil

11. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Lines and extensions appear grey in the free edition. They turn to green, red or orange depending on their status in the paid edition only....

12. Philco

Philco Member

Thats fair enough Nick, thanks..

Put the licence on and all ok.

Phil

13. zensoftware

zensoftware New Member

Just a sanity check but are you logging in using the extension and Voicemail pin not the extension password? If I login using an incorrect password it does allow me to see extensions but i cannot use them. Should it not fail authentication?

14. Costas3CX

Costas3CX New Member

Yes sir you are right. If you are using a correct username but wrong pin, then you can see the status but not make a call
    if you are using wrong username and pin then you don't see anything. I guess you are expecting that you either get everything or nothing ?

15. matthijsolislagers

matthijsolislagers New Member

It is not quite clear to me.

What I really would like is to place a call from my outlook (for example with a TAPI interface) and make the call with my deskphone (grandstream).

Is that possible with the VOIP client? I cannot get it to work. If it is, can someone help me configure it?

When the VOIP client is in deskphone-mode and I try to make a call from outlook nothing happens.

16. garrycarpenter

I agree with Matt,

Surly this is basic functionality! To initiate a call from the VOIP Client (in desk phone mode) but use the desk phone.

Our old phone system could do it, why not 3CX???