VOIP Client, TAPI and Deskphone

Discussion in 'Windows' started by fabianschulz, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabianschulz

Hello!

I want to know if I understand the function of the VOIP client correct - if the following configuration is possible using the VOIP client:

- I want to use a Deskphone that rings and which I use to place calls.
    - I want to use the VOIP client to initiate calls from Outlook. When I initiate the call, the Deskphone should ring. When I pickup the Deskphone, the destination should be called.
    - When someone calls me, I want the Deskphone to ring. But the VOIP client should fire up a TAPI event "incoming call" which enables a TAPI application to show the incoming call.

I understand that the VOIP client has to modes: Headset and Deskphone. When I use headset mode, I can initiate calls and it shows incoming calls. But when I use Deskphone mode just nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong or is this by design?

Greetings,
    Fabian

2. darrellchapman

Fabian, you are mostly correct.

This is true. The deskphone will always work as intended without regard to the 3CX client's status.

That's exactly what should be happening.

I don't think the 3CX Client's TAPI provider is fully TAPI compliant. At least previous versions were not. I can't say yet about build 4393 as I haven't tested. The call initiation functionality works just fine but I don't think the client was generating TAPI events on incoming calls.

Now what exactly do you mean "nothing happens" in desk phone mode? I will assume that it can make calls just fine but its just the call initiation functionality that doesn't work. If that's true then did you setup the TAPI provider and dialing options (Control Panel --> Phone and Modem Options)? Also, did you tell Outlook that you want to use the 3CX TAPI provider for outbound calls? To do this:

1) In Outlook, switch to a contacts folder.
    2) Right-click on any contact and choose "Call Contact"
    3) Click on the "Dialing Options" button.
    4) If your dialing rules were already setup you should be at the "Dialing Options" dialog.
    5) Simply choose "3CX VoIP Client" using the pull-down under "Connect using line".
    6) Click "OK" to save this globally for Outlook
    7) Click "Start Call"

What happened now?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bcampbell74

I am trying to get the VoIP client to do this also in Desk phone mode. I start the call > the VoIP Client shows number and status changes to connected then quickly changes back to on hook - the phone itself does nothing. Does anyone have any guides on how to set this up?

3CX 5.1
    3CX VoIP Client: 5.1.4492.0
    IP Phone: Linksys 962 f/w: 5.1.4

4. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

I've never got the client & TAPI working, but I'm not running a paid version (yet). I think that the TAPI might be limited to a paid version, and without it I see exactly the same symptoms as you.

I've written a tapi driver that allows me to do initate calls from outlook (desk phone rings, pick up, 3CX dials number for you), but it is a hack that works for me based on code mentioned at http://www.enum.at/. I haven't got TAPI signalling going so incoming calls pop details.

5. matfalci

I have the same problem, all configured in control panel & Outlook, but when try to dial on the voip client i can see the number but the state don't change.

I tryed with SITAPI by enum.at but with this i see on the server state:
    11:45:48.203 Call::Terminate [CM503008]: Call(11): Call is terminated
    11:45:48.171 Call::RouteFailed [CM503014]: Call(11): Attempt to reach [sip:47@172.16.0.1] failed. Reason: Busy
    11:45:48.140 Call::RouteFailed [CM503014]: Call(11): Attempt to reach [sip:47@172.16.0.1] failed. Reason: Busy
    11:45:48.140 CallCtrl::eek:nSelectRouteReq [CM503013]: Call(11): No known route to target: [sip:47@172.16.0.1]
    11:45:48.031 CallCtrl::eek:nIncomingCall [CM503001]: Call(11): Incoming call from Ext.47 to [sip:47@172.16.0.1]

Any idea?

Thank you

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

The TAPI/Outlook function only works in the paid version. We have now documented this better. Sorry about the miscommunication around this

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. bcampbell74

Is this in Deskphone mode?

8. dgruehn

I'm trying to do the exact same thing here: initiate call from outlook, using deskphone mode so that my desk phone initiates the call instead of the PC client. I am using a registered licensed version of 3CX vp, and the 7.0.4526 version of VoIP Client. In deskphone mode when i try and initiate a call from outlook if get this error message in the client: Deskphone mode requires http access to trigger calls from remote location. I have opened all firewalls for server & client.

Any suggestions. other than this limitation i really like 3CX...

9. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi dgruehn

In the Voip Client's preferences dialog, there is a checkmark which set PBX's webserver type - please toggle it and try it again.
    However, I repeat - 3CX Voip Client is already obsolete and is not guaranteed to work (properly), on its 3CX-specific features, with newest 3CX PBX versions - for these features, please use Call Assistant instead.

Regards
    vali

10. Angus

Yes it is a deskphone mode. But you can use it as a mobile with a hands free headset also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.