VoIP Codecs

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by andymars, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andymars

Does 3cx or does anyone know of a guide explaining the differences between the widely-available VoIP codecs?
    I'm looking in particular at a quality vs bandwidth scale for the following:
    PCMU (u law)
    PCMA (a law)
    G723.1
    G726
    G729
    G722

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

You can find a lot of that information on google just by searching for "VoIP Codecs".

Here's something i found: http://www.ozvoip.com/voip-codecs/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. andymars

Thanks that's one of the best pages i've seen. Any particular recommendations from anyone?

4. carolinainnovative

It just depends on what you're looking for...

If you're low on bandwidth, G729 does a good job for much less bandwidth. If you have the bandwidth, U-LAW/A-LAW are great because they have the best voice clarity.

I don't know much about the GSM codec but I imagine it is somewhere in the middle between the two.

5. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

It's as you said, though personally i hate the GSM Codec as whenever i use it, it simply sounds awful compared to everything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.