• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

VOIP gateways for T1 that work with 3CX

Status
Not open for further replies.

netswork

Bronze Partner
Intermediate Cert.
Reaction score
Anyone have any voip gateways terminating T1 PRI's working with 3CX besides the patton smartnode 4960? The 4960 is a little expensive for our needs of just terminating a single PRI.

I have read some users getting Cisco routers to work but I can not find a good configuration example for this. My customers have cisco routers anyway, so if I could just add a PRI card and get them working without having to add a separate gateway for PRI termination that would be great.

Patton 4960
Sangoma A101

Are your best bet I understand for T1 PRIs. The Patton kit is top notch and rock solid with excellent support from Patton.
You get what you pay for as they say.

Thanks for your reply. The patton 4960 does a lot more than I need. I just need a sip gateway...not an entire network gateway. It just seems crazy to sell a 8 or 16 call 3cx license and then sell a patton that costs twice as much as their phone system to terminate a fractional PRI.

The Patton 4940 is launching right now at a lower price and without all the routing/firewall/etc stuff built in. We should have it on our website today sometime.

Not sure how its crazy that the hardware is more expensive than the software. That is the case with almost all IP PBX systems. You wouldn't think you would get free hardware because you are using open source software would you? So having a very cost effective software platform and having to pay for hardware is rather typical these days.

Kerry I found the 4940 on your site...but its more than than this 4960
Patton Smartnode SN4960/1E15V/UI

What is the difference? What is the most cost effective patton for a single PRI? I dont need any features other than a sip gateway with PRI termination.

KerryG said:
The Patton 4940 is launching right now at a lower price and without all the routing/firewall/etc stuff built in. We should have it on our website today sometime.

Not sure how its crazy that the hardware is more expensive than the software. That is the case with almost all IP PBX systems. You wouldn't think you would get free hardware because you are using open source software would you? So having a very cost effective software platform and having to pay for hardware is rather typical these days.

I don't expect the hardware to be free, no. But I would like to see more options. Like support for a Cisco router with T1 module. Most customers have cisco routers in place anyway so it would not be a major cost to add a T1 card.

If someone out there has got a cisco router to work with a PRI as a sip gateway I would be very interested in some configuration examples or documentation. I have been unable to find anything that works.

The 4940 is $200 less than the 4960.

KerryG said:
The 4940 is $200 less than the 4960.

This is on your site:

Patton Smartnode SN4940/1E24V/EUI
Our Price: $2,399.00

Patton Smartnode SN4960/1E15V/UI
Our Price: $1,895.00

What are the differences in these 2?

Hi there

This model: Patton Smartnode SN4940/1E24V/EUI
...has a single PRI port, and a license for 24 simultaneous voice channels, so is appropriate for a full T1 (but not enough for a full E1).

---

This model: Patton Smartnode SN4960/1E15V/UI
...has a single PRI port, and a license for 15 simultaneous voice channels, so is typically appropriate for a fractional T1/E1.

Can you get one licensed for only 6 channels? We are using a new AT&T product called IPflex, which is a SIP trunk provided by AT&T but they do not support 3CX. Only Cisco, Avaya and Nortel. So my only option is to get a PRI handoff from them but at most of our customers we are going with the minimum of 6 channels. Looking for a cost effective way to terminate a 6 channel PRI.

I looked into the Vgate from redfone, but once you buy the vgate and then the redfone the prices are similar. Not to mention you need vmware setup to run the vgate on.

Someone mentioned the sangoma A101. I dont have any experience with PCI based T1 cards, I have used PCI based FXO interfaces in the past on other phone systems with mixed results.

Anyone using the sangoma A101 and happy with it? Echo Cancellation work well?

I'm using the A101D with echo cancellation and it's working perfectly for me, including t.38 fax over PRI. The cards all support the same number of channels, it's the Netborder Gateway software that is licensed, however I believe you can use 12 channels using the free version, but you should definitely double check this.

I just picked up the card and netborder express 30 channel for a little over $1000.

I'm using telepacific smartvoice which is a SIP delivery method that is then converted to a PRI handoff. Had to do this because Telepacific's SIP does not support 3cx, or vice-versa, but I'm having no issues with the sangoma. Their support is also very helpful.

Will the 4940 take the 3CX 4960 generated config file? If not will we see a 4940 template added in 3CX?

Is there a plan for a 15 channel 4940?

dannybrook said:
I'm using the A101D with echo cancellation and it's working perfectly for me, including t.38 fax over PRI. The cards all support the same number of channels, it's the Netborder Gateway software that is licensed, however I believe you can use 12 channels using the free version, but you should definitely double check this.

I just picked up the card and netborder express 30 channel for a little over $1000.

I'm using telepacific smartvoice which is a SIP delivery method that is then converted to a PRI handoff. Had to do this because Telepacific's SIP does not support 3cx, or vice-versa, but I'm having no issues with the sangoma. Their support is also very helpful.

Danny, thank you very much for your reply. My situation is pretty much the same. AT&T calls it IP flex and its SIP delivery but they dont support 3CX so I have to get the PRI handoff. What do you get with the "netborder gateway" software?

sunstate said:
Will the 4940 take the 3CX 4960 generated config file? If not will we see a 4940 template added in 3CX?

Is there a plan for a 15 channel 4940?

Patton has a utility to generate a config file for their gateways. It is not as simple as generating it through3CX, but it may do what you need. I don't have the link, but have a look on Patton's website for it and have a go.

netswork said:
dannybrook said:

Danny, thank you very much for your reply. My situation is pretty much the same. AT&T calls it IP flex and its SIP delivery but they dont support 3CX so I have to get the PRI handoff. What do you get with the "netborder gateway" software?
Netborder Express is what creates the SIP gateway. The 12-channel SOHO version is free and fully functional. Basically you install the card and drivers, then configure the PSTN device in 3cx, export the config file and start up the gateway. The development mode is very handy for debugging both SIP and PRI. Generally speaking, it just works! I've put up some recent posts related to anonymous calls and call-forwarding not showing the right callerid, but these were easy fixes.

netswork said:
Anyone have any voip gateways terminating T1 PRI's working with 3CX besides the patton smartnode 4960? The 4960 is a little expensive for our needs of just terminating a single PRI.

I have read some users getting Cisco routers to work but I can not find a good configuration example for this. My customers have cisco routers anyway, so if I could just add a PRI card and get them working without having to add a separate gateway for PRI termination that would be great.

A Voip - certified Cisco engineer would find it easy enough to configure a Cisco router to act as a VoIP gateway, as long as you used standard SIP instead of skinny in thte Cisco setup, and had the right IOS version - mind you, I wouldn't use a Cisco router as my ISDN gateway in a pink fit (reliability, complexity issues, etc, etc). I think you'll find that the PRI card for a Cisco router would end up being more expensive than a Patton 15-channel gateway anyway - and, seeing as the config takes about 5 minutes if you know what you're doing, the config time would be cheaper also.

I'd suggest that you stick with the proven and dead reliable Patton gateways - why mess around with potential reliability issues on a primary rate service? I haven't had any experience with the Sangoma cards as yet, however I suspect that they are probably pretty good also.

We are currently using 3CX free version and purchased Dialogic DMG2060 to connect to our pbx. We have tested the 3CX with wireless phones and currently we are testing iPod Touch's. We are still in the testing and tuning phase to see if we can roll out a wireless phone solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.