Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

VoIP Intercom

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bblokey, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bblokey

2. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

I have used one similar for a security gate install, for there simplicity I did not find the price worth while. If I had to do it again I would not get a VoIP one, instead I would bury a CAT3 and run it to an ATA with an isolation jack on it. (In case water gets into the line)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bblokey

Exactly what I was thinking... I could just buy a cheap analog phone take it out of its case and place it in a metal waterproof box. Then setup the ata to dial an extension when a button is pressed taking the phone off the hook.

4. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Sure there are cheaper ways of accomplishing this but I would suggest looking at the big picture. Traditional telephone installers make a TON of money on overhead paging, intercoms, warehouse horns, etc. I can count on one hand the number of people I know in the IP PBX space that try to sell the same products. In many legacy systems, paging devices make up 30%-60% of the endpoints sold. If you want to increase the size of your average sale, I highly recommend that you look at products from Valcom and Cyberdata to see how you can round out your product offering.

I have touched on this topic in a recent article I wrote at:
    http://www.voipstore.com/2009/08/are-you-being-effective-in-selling-ip-pbx-systems/

I really think paging and intercom devices should be a key component of any installation and it will help you have bigger and more profitable sales.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

Home depot has a nice NEMA rated waterproof enclosure for about $20, you can find a kit out there for a pay-phone like security keypad and driver board with microphone. I think its about $45. So for about $100 you have a waterpoof, tamper resistant, commercial grade intercom.

6. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Plus your time to run around getting parts, assembling it, testing it, trying to get it to work. The interface you will use to talk to it, etc.

While I do think the CyberData products are a bit pricey, its all setup, ready to go, power over ethernet, and is just another SIP endpoint. If I have to spend 2-3 hours running around to different stores and building my own unit, my time I am going to charge makes up for the difference in price of the CyberData products. All you are doing is changing hours for dollars. If you are billing for your time to build that, the end cost to the client is probably going to be close enough to not make much of a difference in the end.

7. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

You sound like a sales man. :mrgreen: Even if you include the time spent to assemble it, gas, materials, programing and 3 meals you still haven't come close to the cost of that device. (At $459 could probaly include a 3CX Mini license with it :oops: )

The only real advantage I see in that device is the RELAY contact on the back, But since we trigger external PLC events using the 3CX API it's someone irrelevant.

8. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I'm not trying to be a sales person, I only try to help people be as efficient as possible. I don't know what you charge for your time but I charge $150/hour for mine so a couple of hours of running around and its better for me to buy a device.

9. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

I agree with your initiative.

How well do you think that device would stand up compared to a Nema 4X enclosure?

10. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I am not sure, the Valcom units look pretty nice as well. We are just adding them to our catalog and will have final pricing next week. Of all the things I have needed to do for anyone, an outdoor intercom has never been one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.