VoIP-over-3G

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pstmg, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pstmg

Hello all

I am about to implement 3CX VoIP over 3G network for our sales stuff and I wonder if you can share your experience regarding this matter

Regards
    Paulo

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It does work, however...you should probably be bit more specific as to where, and what network operator you will be using this on. Each can have have specific issues.

3. pstmg

thanks for your reply.

I want to use Vodafone's 4G network. The problem is I need to give 4G compatible phones to everyone and that's expensive :O

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

3G or 4G? I'm using Vodafone UK at the moment using 3G with only a few registration drop offs and that may because I'm on and off the Tube. I'm not certain if they are offering 4G LTE yet.
    Over the next couple of years handsets that conform to the new frequencies will drop in price. In the meantime 3CX works just fine ln 3G.

5. bardissi

bardissi Member

Be careful here.

If you are in one place it works ok but if you are traveling = driving down a highway, chances are you will not be happy with the experience

I tend to use the 3G/4G if station and then use the ring my mobile at the same time feature when I am moving.

6. pstmg

Well I had a not pleasent experience with voip over 3g networks, specially while moving with my android phone. So I wonder maybe 4G network can be a solution due the bigger bandwidht.

Thanks all

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The difference in bandwidth between 3G and 4G should not be an issue when using VoIP unless your phone is also downloading a huge amount of data while you are on a call. There are many other factors involved that have a greater impact. How the operators network is set-up, is the biggest. I recently used the 3 network in Italy (3G), very few issues, and when i checked my phone, the majority of times it showed a green dot (registered). In England on Vodafone, (3G) i found there was an issue registering unless i used the tunnel. As there is no service on the Tube, the phone would have to re-establish a 3G signal and re-register much more often that in Italy, many times, when I checked that phone, the dot was red and I had to manually register, which always worked.

So there are probably three basic factors at play... your particular handset, and how it "handles" things, the Operator you are on, and how often you loose a signal and/or move between base stations.

8. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Aside, I'm still waiting for the ability to split the settings for wifi/3G between "presence" features and the voice calls.. I would like to leverage presence, change status, etc. over 2G frankly.. but only make/take calls over wifi.

By the time I don't have wifi available.. won't much matter whether or not voice works with 3/4G.. it is likely I need wifi speeds to do whatever work I need to do.. though an RDP or similar session may suffice over 4G.. sometimes.

Sorry for derailing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.