• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

VOIP phone crashes systematically on Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

flurk

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been installing 3CX phone v6 on several Windows XP-SP3 machines and even on Iphone lately and they all work fine, except for on one mysterious computer.
The phone installs without any problem on that computer, and launches perfectly and instantly. In the logs of the phone there are no signs of errors.
When i dial a number and push the green handset button to initiate dialing, the phone crashes instantly and repeatedly.
No traces In the logs of the phone, no traces in the logs of the PBX. Nothing in the Windows system or application logs.
This crashing is independant of the SIP account used, it is independant of the windows account (whether i login as admin or as user), it is independant of the telephone number which is dialed.
Exceptionally the phone which has been called starts ringing, but the calling application always has crashed meanwhile.
I tried closing down all other applications and unnecessary services (difficult to close down apple-services :( ). This has no effect.
I updated windows (XP sp3) (+ 40 updates)... no avail.
I disabled bluetooth networking; only one LAN connection remains active.
I downgraded to the 3CX phone v5. It behaves similarly.
I disabled video in the phone: no difference.

The only things which make this particular computer different from the others on which I have successfully installed the phones so far are:
- processor = Athlon XP 2400 (all my other PC's are 'intel')
- widescreen video (1680*1050*16 bpp); all other machines have moderate 1024*768 screens)
- display adapter: Radeon 9200 SE SEC
- itunes is installed on this machine.
- it has a video cam "creative webcam vista plus".
- sound card = yamaha DS1 WDM

Has anybody any suggestion? In this forum i find no comparable experiences.
TIA,
regards,

Flurk

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
update:
this is what i discovered today (mon, june 20)
- correction to my post of yesterday: I have another machine with AMD-Athlon core on which the softphone v6 runs perfectly.
- if I call the crashy softphone on the problematic machine (phone A) from another softphone on another computer (phone b), then a strange thing happens:
- on phone B everything is normal: i hear the dialing tone, i hear the dtmf tones, i hear the ringing tone.
- on the phone A I get no indication of any ringing: no sound, no visual indication. The phone remains "on hook" and unchanged during ringing.
- each time I try to set up a call to phone A, i see in the log of that phone that a line "video stream will be received on 192.168.181.xxx:40020" is added. The port number increases by 4 upon every connection attempt. This means probably that at every connection attempt at least some data is successfully exchanged between the PBX and the phone.
- when i hang up phone B, the message "call ended" appears briefly on the status messages field of phone A.
- next, the "missed calls" light starts blinking. When i click this button, I get a bizarre screen. The missed calls screen shows date and time of every call attempt, but does not show any information about who tried calling. Clicking on one of the missed calls buttons causes the phone to return to its home screen.

My bet is that this is a networking problem. Data to initiate a call is exchanged, other essential data carried in the SIP stream (or the audio stream?) does not reach the phone.
I ran two portscanners (nirsoft Cport and TCPeye by Francesco Bucci) on two computers. I don't see any differences between both: the softphone always gets 2 ports allocated.
1 port UDP and TCP and another port TCP only. The number of the basic port corresponds to the number mentioned in the log of the phone.
I checked the network settings:
- Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is off.
- network configuraton is through DHCP. "ipconfig /all" tells me that the basic network parameters are correct.
- no services like "routing and remote access", "windows firewall" or "application layer gateway service" are active.
- I stepped through all services; as a test i activated "wired autoconfig service": no result.

So far for tonight.
Flurk

Hi
I will try to provide you an answer at the end of this week.
I'm interested in this issue mainly because all crash reports I know related to 3CXPhone ver 6 and Windows XP have something in common: Service Pack 3. I don't know such reports involving XP with Service Pack 2.
Regards
vali

I do got the exact same problem, did the same troubleshooting, it as exactly when i do press the green button. Mine is a vista sp2 X64. It is so identical that i thought you where talking about my computer :)

If i found something i'll let you know

Any progress on this?

Try the latest (still not official) 3CX softphone:

http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhone6_19920.msi

This version works fine for me.

Regards.

thank you Eagle2 for your link.
I tried that new version on that specific problematic computer. It crashes as well.

I guess re-installing windows will be the easiest solution in this case.

Btw: i have another laptop, on which 3CX phone crashes as well, in a comparable way. Only, it's a humble AMD K6@450MHz with just 180 MB of ram (11 years old but still working perfectly).
The OS is also XPsp3. I use that laptop as an internet radio receiver. In fact i don't care much if the VoIP phone works perfectly on that computer or not.

regards,

Flurk

Hello,
I have the same problem,recently I installed 3cx softphone on my computer with Windows 7 OS, installation works fine and the 3cx softphone works great, i also installed it on 3 other computer using the same OS.Then I installed an X-Lite v4 softphone on one of the computer with 3cx softphone installed on it, I test them both on the same computer at first they both working fine, although i've notice that the 3cx softphone becoming unstable. so i close the x-lite softphone and try to use the 3cx phone to ring other computer on my LAN, and then the problem starts when i dial a number then pressing the GREEN button the application crashes. Here's the result:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: 3CXPhone.exe
Application Version: 5.0.14900.0 ---------before i am using version 6
Application Timestamp: 4cef8784
Fault Module Name: 3CXVoipPhone.dll
Fault Module Version: 5.0.14900.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cef877e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000e6207
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

before i am using version 6 i downgraded it to version 5 hoping that it would fix the issue but the same problem occurs.i also tried to restore my computer 3days before the installation of the x-lite softphone.

If someone knows how to fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.