VoIP Protocol Binding

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by webby, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webby

I have an RV042, connected to 2 x Different Broadband suppliers.
    One of the Broadband connections is my VoIP provider (VoIP Unlimited.net) and I wish to Bind all VoIP protocol over that WAN

So far I have binded:
    5060-5070UDP to WAN1 (VoIP provider)
    9000-9100UDP to WAN1 - RTP traffic
    All other traffic to WAN2

This appears to work perfectly accept for my external extensions. (Based at a different location connected by internet and another RV042)
    They can ring in to and from my Phone system however the RTP trafic seems to get lost.

As far as i can tell from my Router logs and WireShark log it appears that the RTP traffic is trying to use my WAN2 (All data Broadband not my VoIP Broadband) obviously if the phone is trying to talk to a different WAN the phone system is not going to be able to communicate.

It has to be a binding problem as if I disconnect my WAN2 the external extensions work correctly.
    And until this weekend I have had no Protocol Binding in place and only WAN1 ( VoIP Provider) inplace it has been working fine.

Further information:
    I am using 3CX phone system
    VoIP Unlimited Broadband and as VoIP provider
    BT is my external Broadband provider and my WAN2 at my site hosting the Phone System
    I am based in England

Hope someone can help! Thanks

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

We have this set up for one of our customers.

They have 2 DSLs on an RV042.

Rather than port binding I did IP binding in the RV042.

I set the rule to say all data from the pbx machine (eg. 192.168.1.10) for all services goes out through WAN2. I also set up a rule to say all data from all other addresses (eg 192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.200) go out through WAN1.

This works correctly.

As for remote extensions we gave the PBX DSL a static IP (the internet one is on a dynamic) and set the remotes to go to the static ip which is then forwarded to the PBX. So all phones and calls go in and out of the DSL for the PBX and all data/internet goes out through the other DSL.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. webby

This is exactly what I envisaged being able to do when I was going to set up the second BroadBand line.

I think I have done it now, you do it by selecting All Traffic In 'Service Management' and then setting the ip to the ip of my 3CX machine.

4. webby

Well day 1 of having IP binding set up.

All seems to be excellent, the calls I made were not delayed as they have been a lot of the time.
    I have not been moaned at by any of my staff, so all seems good so far....................will keep you posted

5. webby

Day 2 was almost as successful, the main line has been jitter / delay free, but my external extensions did loose connection to the 3CX server twice, a re-boot and they worked again but im not sure why they loose connection given that the 3CX has a fixed WAN IP and so do the Phones WAN at the other site.

6. webby

Day 3 has already had problems :(

I have had 5 No ACK Received (and 3 more "disconnect half way through call" as my employee tells me which sounds like a no ack)

Also when I arrived this morning my two extensions were not connected.

It was all working perfectly until I implemented IP Binding (except the delay / jitter) so it has to be to do with the 2nd Broadband line.

The only Idea I have is to also add Protocol binding as well as the IP bind?

Does anyone know if I bind an IP to a WAN in Load Balance mode it will still spill over to the second line if the WAN it is Binded to is heavily loaded?

Also when I log in to my 3CX server some times I have a warning on screen "Browser in off-line mode" I normally leave the browser open on the login page for 3CX. Again this has only happened since using IP binding.

7. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

its written in german but may the Picture helps you and running it through google translator

http://www.3cx.de/blog/firewall-konfiguration-externe-nebenstellen/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. webby

Thanks StefanW, I translated the page but it was not much help.

Also is it worth noting that I have static Ip addresses at both my External extensions and at the site where my 3CX is hosted, so I have turned off Stun under: Settings > Network > STUN Server and ticked the Turn off STUN server Box

and put my 3CX external WAN address in the "Public IP to specify in Contact and SDP" box

is this a good idea?

9. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

yes that is already a very good point!
    the rest should be looked at as a support ticket. if you have a support contract with 3cx kindly open an ticket at support.3cx.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.