• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

voip provider blocked, voip blocked by isp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elios115

Reaction score
i am in a country where my ISP blocks voip calls of all kinds.
my network is behind a symmetric udp nat as per the stun checking.
the 3CX tunelling solved the problem of connecting remote extensions. it is great
but if i added a voip provider to my phone server, i cant make outbound calls through my voip provider since it is blocked by my ISP.
is there any way to route the connection to the voip provider ONLY through any vpn services such as securitykiss or any paid vpn service that will connect to a remote server in the USA?

I don't know of any ISP that has VPN tunnels into it. You are probably going to need to use analog phone lines or a PRI and get the appropriate hardware gateway.

Have you tried using Skype? I've been lead to believe that it can get through many business firewalls.

leejor said:
Have you tried using Skype? I've been lead to believe that it can get through many business firewalls.

If I understand his situation correctly even Skype is going to be blocked. Many countries out there still block VoIP of all forms especially Skype. For example, take a trip to Dubai and try and reach our forums :).

Thanks,
Nate

These guys http://www.iopus.com/ipig/ used to offer a free "VPN like" service passing through them, which was very popular with users in countries where the internet was blocked. The have discontinued the service but still offer a free download of their client and server software, and have made the source code available. So, if you could get a friend, in another country, to run the server, you might be able to bypass your ISP's blocks using the client.

There may be other companies, that still offer some sort of "bypass" service, if you do some searches.

nbailey said:
leejor said:

If I understand his situation correctly even Skype is going to be blocked. Many countries out there still block VoIP of all forms especially Skype. For example, take a trip to Dubai and try and reach our forums :).

Thanks,
Nate

Exactly Nate, this is where i am. in DUBAI and im using a vpn now to browse ur forums :)
skype or any other voip is definitely blocked.im using the same securitykiss vpn to go through voip calls and your forums.
my point was not a vpn, i already have it. the point is to tunnel only the voip provider outbound calls through this specific vpn since if i connect my whole server through it all my internet traffic will be routed through this tunnel and therefore i ll not be able to reach it with remote extensions through 3cx tunnel since the vpn will not grant me a public ip address.
any idea or solution you might think of?

If the 3CX tunnel is working for you have you thought of installing the 3CX server out of the country?
Using a cloud service to host 3CX? A friend, family member or business associate's location out of the country?
Or having a second off site server and bridging the two with the tunnel?

You could also have an out of country proxy set up using something like a MikroTik router, (the MikroTik would be out of country) I just set up 3 MikroTik's for the first time, they seem to be very robust in features, including port forwarding, in or out. You could go with an inexpensive RouterBoard or put their RouterOS on a PC.

send me a PM, if you are from Dubai I might have some folks who can help you out.

Thanks,
Nate

i have no plans to set an overseas server since i will use this system for a small office. im trying the free version for now to check if i will be able to use this system since im in a voip blocked country.
i was happy that remote extensions with the 3cx tunnel working over wifi and 3G where all other solutions failed.
now this problem arises for outbound calls and i cannot overlook this since one of the purposes of this system is to save on overseas calls using voip for outbound calls from any internal or external extension.
so there is no way that anybody knows to route only the voip provider traffic through a tunnel to my vpn provider server?

any good news in here?anybody with idea?

Hello,
What you need it seems is a router with VPN capability along with someone who is prepared to host another similar VPN router. It is not easy to send the traffic through the VPN, unless a provider can actually host a VPN. That unfortunately is not really a practical option.

I think that the solution is to have another 3CX hosted where the trunk can be terminated, along with a tunnel or VPN back to Dubai. I know a company who might help host such a solution if that would be useful.

Kind regards
Richard

what was that?

With all the rubbish you might not have seen my post.
Hello,
What you need it seems is a router with VPN capability along with someone who is prepared to host another similar VPN router. It is not easy to send the traffic through the VPN, unless a provider can actually host a VPN. That unfortunately is not really a practical option.

I think that the solution is to have another 3CX hosted where the trunk can be terminated, along with a tunnel or VPN back to Dubai. I know a company who might help host such a solution if that would be useful.

Kind regards
Richard

It looks like this company actually sends you a VPN device that works with a number (not sure if it will work with yours) of providers. I can't vouch for them but it appears, that what ever you end up doing , it is going to require some sort of VPN set-up. You are not the first one to try this. http://www.vpn4sip.com/

Hello,
Actually it is not that company, but it does look like it is worth a try just to be sure that 3CX works for you. The only issue that they have is that the bandwidth is restriced to 100K. This is fine for 1 call on G711, or more calls than that using codecs such as GSM or G729. My partner provides much more bandwidth should it be needed.

it seems like vpn4sip is a good idea since it doesnt alter the structure and topology of the network(IPs)
thx for the advice.keep u posted.

I have found another one - which may be better in terms of flexibility and bandwidth. They offer router solutions as well, so that you can connect your 3CX to say a US or UK public static IP address, without having to mess around with dial-up VPNs.

http://strongvpn.com/

http://strongvpn.com/routers.shtml They have several supported router solutions.

I wish you the best of luck in sorting this out.

Kind regards
Richard

Several of the replies are highly inaccurate. The remote end of your VPN does NOT need to have the same router, you do not need to proxy anything.
Keep it simnple. Find an ISP that offers SIP trunk service over VPN (Standard - NO NAT , NO ALG) and you are all set. Just setup PBX delivers audio. a sinple PPTP or L2TP without complression will work. Best yet, see if they can support iLBC. This is how we are setup to offer SIP trunking.

active5 said:
If the 3CX tunnel is working for you have you thought of installing the 3CX server out of the country?
Using a cloud service to host 3CX? A friend, family member or business associate's location out of the country?
Or having a second off site server and bridging the two with the tunnel?

You could also have an out of country proxy set up using something like a MikroTik router, (the MikroTik would be out of country) I just set up 3 MikroTik's for the first time, they seem to be very robust in features, including port forwarding, in or out. You could go with an inexpensive RouterBoard or put their RouterOS on a PC.

Recipe for disaster... once you tunnel him here, you will send him out the local NAT?

while setting up the voip provider, in the advanced settings, i have seen an option to register the provider via 3 ways.
which ip to use in "contact" field for registration: stun, specified ip or internal.
if i have two network adapters, can i push the registration through the specific ip address.
by that i will be able to connect one adapter to a vpn server to route my traffic out of blocked area and therefore register my voip provider for incoming and outgoing calls while the other adapter is not tunneled and used to connect my extensions as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.