VoIP Provider With Multiple Trunks ** INFO

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by beaton, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaton

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but after searching the forums I could not find an answer.

I am trying to set up a Generic VoIP Provider (Nextiva). The provider has given us 5 trunks; each containing a separate External Number, Authentication ID & Authentication Password. I was told we could have an unlimited number of concurrent inbound calls on each trunk but a maximum of 1 outbound call on each trunk.

My questions are as follows:

1. What would the “Maximum simultaneous calls” setting be set to?
    2. Would I setup a separate Generic VoIP provider for each number or is there a way to have multiple ports/trunks for a single provider?

The additional numbers are not DIDs but separate trunks. It appears that the “PSTN devices” settings allow you to create multiple trunks but I cannot figure out how to do that with a “VoIP Provider”.

If the answer to question number 2 is that I must setup a separate VoIP provider for each trunk how would I create an outbound rule that automatically selected the unused trunk since I have more than 3 trunks?

Thanks for any assistance you might provide.

2. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

Re: VoIP Provider With Multiple Trunks

Hi,

1. Set the “Maximum simultaneous calls" to the number of your allowed calls via your 3CX Licence, this will be 4 if you are using the free Edition

2. You will need to use a seperate account for each phone number has you have said that each number has its own trunk.
    Not used Nextiva before, but if you have a way of grouping all numbers under 1 account that would be better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. beaton

Thanks Dave!

What you have said makes sense and i appreciate the input. The only other area of confusion is how would the outbound rules work given the following:

Lets say I have 20 users and 5 trunks (Created as separate VoIP Providers). I want my users to dial 9 to receive an outside line.

I would create an outbound rule with the following settings:

Calls to numbers starting with (Prefix): 9
    Route 1: Trunk 1 (Strip 1 digit to remove the 9)
    Route 2: Trunk 2 (Strip 1 digit to remove the 9)
    Route 3: Trunk 3 (Strip 1 digit to remove the 9)

So if Trunk 1 is busy it would try Trunk 2 and then Trunk 3. How would I bring trunks 4 & 5 into the picture?

Thanks Again for your help.

4. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

If you have 20 users, then a trunk limit of 1 for outgoing calls is very very restrictive.

The only way you could get around this would be to create 20 outgoing rules and then apply each rule based on Extension number so each user as dedicated outgoing rule.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. beaton

Thank-You

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.