VoIP providers suggestion

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bigg3522, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigg3522

I just thought I'd make a suggestion, and I'm surprised that this hasn't already been implemented (maybe it is in the non free version, or there's a way of doing this and I just don't know how). My VoIP provider that I use is FreePhoneLine.ca, and today my PBX went down because the outside trunk went down. They actually have 2 registration servers, voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca, so as soon as I switched my settings to the voip 2 server, came back online! So that said, how come you can't setup an optional secondary server, as I see more and more providers having multiple servers for redundancy?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This is where you would submit any feature requests.... http://apps.facebook.com/threecxideas/

3. netswork

netswork Active Member

I would think your provider would failover their system using DNS so that you dont have to manually change to voip2. The provider should have detected an error and failed over on their own side...in my opinion.

Still would be nice to have the option your looking for though. Good luck with the 3cx ideas facebook page. Not many people visit/vote.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bigg3522

Daivsjone - I think you misunderstand. I know what the 2 registration server addresses are, what I don't have is a place to put the secondary server anywhere in the 3CX application, with respect to configuring a generic SIP trunk.

Leejor and Netswork - I just looked into that app, facebook shows that 100 people use the app, haha. I don't think that's going to get anywhere. As for their automatic failover via DNS, I don't know why they don't use that, but I think the reason why is that they have 2 different external IP addresses that you can use is so they have internet service provider redundancy, and DNS redundancy. The funny thing is that my grandstream phone set, when directly connected to phone service, it has a primary and secondary server option in its SIP registration settings, so its not that it's not possible, it's just that it's not in the 3CX server application.

Too bad they don't read these forums much...

5. DBOD

I understand what you want. Maybe 10 years ago it made sense. My voip provider is Callcentric and they are typically running about 9 servers whose addresses are changing regularly for maintenance reasons. The solution you need is better implemented at the VOIP provider end. Making the user chase after an available server is a waste of my time. They can change the server you go to anytime by changing the DNS A records or SRV records on the fly. I just point 3CX to the domain callcentric.com. No need to specify a specific server. They will direct 3CX to a server that is online and not too busy for load balancing.

6. jasit

jasit New Member

you should be able to add the 2nd server as another voip provider and then go to your outbound rules and update them to use the 2nd voip provider as the 2nd option.

7. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

I'd like to clarify certain misconceptions...

We host 17 different servers for our SIP trunk service and we use regional FQDHN however with automatic failover via DNS, the A record is not something that just changes on the spot as someone stated. First it needs to be NON CACHEABLE and MANY providers cache it anyway on their DNS servers. We have seen this with Comcast, Cablevision and certain Verizon (Fios) servers. They can specify a minimum TTL on their servers and you would not be in good shape... i.e outage

Our customers use our DNS servers for resolution on their 3CX server in order to avoid this issue. Do not, do not, do not rely on the A record from your own carrier's dns records...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.