VOIP Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jjosephmn, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjosephmn

I'm extremely new to this so I apolgize for the rookie questions. I currently have vonage. My queston is, I have a digital to analog converter do also need a analog to digial converter. Do I need a voip gateway. From the information that I am gathering it looks like 3CX doesn't support traditional pci analog adapters is this correct. I would like to test this inhouse before implementing at job site. I would like to make sure I have the equipment I need to test properly.
    TIA

2. bluefox8080

bluefox8080 New Member

Hi jjosephmn,

You are right, 3CX does not support any "on board" devices.
    However, if you connect only to Vonage, you will not need any VoIP gateway or analogue adapter, as the call will be VoIP based.

You should however also get a VoIP phone to connect to the 3CX PBX.
    If you have a Analogue phone and don't what to get a IP phone, you should get a VoIP ATA adapter with 1 or more FXO ports on it to do the translation between voice and data.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. malysh

how does one connect to vonage?
    I'm a newbie and there is no instructions how do I get info and what info I need to set up the 3CX. It seems to to a nice peice of software but if it's not simple enough for non techie people to set it up it's of no use

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

My understanding, and please correct me if my information is wrong or out of date, is that Vonage isn't the best example to use as a VoIP provider with 3CX. From what I've heard, Vonage will only provide primary service on one of their VoIP devices. Apparently they will allow the use of softphones but only as an additional service off of the primary line and at an additional cost. You might want to confirm all of this with them before any plans on using them as your primary VoIp provider with the 3Cx PBX.

But...there are a large number of VoIP providers that will work with 3CX, some can provide you with both incoming and outgoing service and some can be used just for long distance calls. Some are actually free, and although they don't allow you to call PSTN numbers for no charge they can be used to "get your feet wet" and place calls to toll free numbers and even receive incoming calls from anyone.

They all require that you have a high speed internet connection (cable or ADSL).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.