Voip Unlimited losing registration

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by commplete, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. commplete

We occationally (about once a week) find that the 3cx can not make external calls.
    We are using Voip Unlimited as the sip provider.
    When we look at the 3cx server log it says :
    CM303003 there are no available outbound line on gateway Voipunlimited at this time.
    CM503013 Attempt to reach (sipxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx:5060) failed , reason not registered.

If I re register the line, then it works again for about a week.

Does anyone else have this sort of problem, or can anyone please provide a solution ?

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi there,

We have been seeing this from voip unlimted for a few days now. Can you please also direct this question to their support?

Thanks,

3. commplete

I emailed VoIP Unlimited about this problem, and there reply is as follows:

"This is not a registration issue.. If it was you would loose inbound but
    outbound would be fine ....

Contact 3CX for support as we don't support hardware / software.."

Not very helpfull, but they seem to think its a problem with the 3CX.

Thanks
    Huw

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm afraid we're going nowhere very fast with that kind of reply from VOIP-Unlimited.

I suggest you paste a small section of verbose logging when the problem happens, perhaps we can see what's happening there.

Also, increasing the re-registration timeout may help.

Thanks,

5. commplete

Thanks for that Keith.
    I've now turned on Verbose logging.

Voip-Unlimited actually became unregistered last night, although it seems it totally lost registration. Again, re registering the line bought it back into life.
    This was the message:
    20:11:14.854 ClientRegs::eek:nFailure [CM504005]: Registration failed for: 10000@VoipUnlimited; Cause: 401 Unauthorized; from IP:91.151.2.130:5060

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you sure you are not attempting to register the account from more than one location?

Also, have you tried increasing the registration timeout?

7. commplete

Thank you for the reply Keith.

The VoIP-Unlimited acount is only being registerd from this one location.

When you say 'increase the registration timeout' is that the 'time between registration attempts' setting ?

If it is then it is set as the default of 600, do you recommend taking it to say 800 ?

Thanks

8. justin

I had that problem with Engin. I increased the timeout to 900 seconds and haven't had a problem since :)

9. commplete

Thank for that Justin, I'll give it a go with 900.

10. Resolve

Huw,

Just to add a little bit - we're seeing exactly the same problem. Opening up 3cx and hitting re-register is solving the issue - however it's getting a little tedious to have to remote into a customer setup to do it.

I'd be interested when/if you have to do this again so I can compare with our experience.

Tim

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Resolve

Interesting......

When we get the fault we see completely the opposite. Inbound ok, outbound dead.

Tim

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. commplete

Tim

We both have exactly the same problem.
    Even with my timeout set to 3600, the 3cx would still occationally lose the ability to make external calls.

Having said that, for the past couple of weeks the voip-unlimited connection has worked fine.
    The only thing that I set differently on the server (XPpro) is that I have disabled the Windows update. I'm sure its not related, but thats the only thing I've changed - its probably just a coincidence.

13. Resolve

I'm sure it is a coincidence - I've changed nothing and the problem has also gone away. This customer has had the problem very occasionally over the last few months coming to a head over the last few weeks or so. This week and last have been ok although another of our VU customer's appear to be having a dreadful jitter problem. I think the mark of a company is not whether they have problems - more their attitude to solving them when and if they do.........

I suspect VU *may* be having (or have had) some growing pains.....

Tim

14. dominicbatty

Hi Gents, I have just had the same problem today but I am also suffering from really bad inbound routing issues with VOIP Unlimited who host our lines and DDI nunbers. Mainly from mobile phones but others are reporting issues as well. We just get really dead lines and there is absolutely no trace in 3CX of the incoming calls. This happens whilst other calls are coming in fine and people are making outbound calls so definitely not a registration issue.

I do share your opinion of their support it generally goes along the lines of "nobody else has reported this issue so you must be fine". Call quality and technical side of VOIP Unlimited is excellent - just not sure about their support.

Dom.

15. Resolve

Hi Dom,

No problems here but, it has to be said, they've had a few recently. Nothing for a week or two and this time I have to commend them on their notification of customers. Much better.

Are VU hosting your broadband too ?

Tim

16. dominicbatty

Yeah, we have an ADSL directly into them running nothing but our voice, all other internet based traffic is routed elsewhere to avoid affecting the voice calls. Other than the ADSL failure the other week and the occasional inbound (notified) issues we are REALLY happy with them.

The only thing is I'm getting a bit frustrated to be honest, just cannot explain some of these inbound routing issues. Take Tuesday for example around 11.52am, I tried to call one of our DDI numbers (hosted by VU) from my O2 mobile whilst out the office. It was silent for say 20 seconds then gave me an unobtainable tone. I tried this 3 times and got the same three results. I then called someone based in the office on their mobile and asked them to ring the DDI I was trying to get hold of (this goes out to VU and back in) and this rang fine. The office were receiving calls from other customers to our main line and also making calls during this time - all through VU.

When I got back to the office I hunted through all the SIP trace logs (we have got medium logging turned on) and there was absdolutley nothing originating from my mobile in that time frame - which sort of points to the fact the call never came in.

I think I'll have to try logging this with 3CX but I don;t know if my efforts will be worth it, I'll likely just get the old ... "Everyone else is working so therefore so should you be".

Dom.

17. Resolve

You've got my sympathy :cry:

I wonder if it's a codec issue ....we've sometimes run ours/customer's setup with continuous verbose logging/wireshark !

We had a weird issue that almost finished me off earlier this year where we had intermittent one way / no one there on incoming. 3cx said it was VU VU said it was 3cx. This went on for a couple of weeks and then it "fixed itself".

It happened briefly a couple of weeks later and since then it's been as good as gold.

We're in Malvern, Worcs if you want to compare notes 8)

Tim

18. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Domnic - Well, looking at your issue its quite clear that the VoiP provider might not be forwarding the calls to 3CX. Otherwise you should see something in the logs. When you are hearing silence, its because you are not hearing feedback from the provider. If you hear silence and then all of a sudden some one answers the phone, then the ringing tones have not been sent by the provider.

Resolve, if it resolved itself then clearly it was a provider issue.

Guys, a VoIP phone system consists of several parts, and all parts must be performing to get good results!

19. dominicbatty

Aha .... we think our problem is solved.

Nick, apologies if you thought I was pointing the finger at 3CX, this was not my intention if that was how you read my email. We're really happy with the 3CX software and you excellent development speed and openess you guys have and I actually think it was something to do with the provider.

I hunted round with various settings and found the "Allow Keep Alives" in the "General > Global Options" settings and I enabled this. *ALL* our call issues have now gone away and we have not had a single complaint from either the staff or any customers for over a week. Prior to this it was happening 5-10 times a day with some frustrated person on the phone moaning at me all the time.

I upgraded to the final BETA of v7 quite early on and restored my v6 configuration and there were a lot of parameters that did not come back in due to a restore problem from the v6 config that are now fixed and I'm wondering if this was one of the missing parameters not brought back in by the original restore or if this "Allow Keep Alives" is something new in v7?

I can only assume that for some reason we were losing some sort of registration which prevented inbound calls getting routed and perhaps by making an outbound call restored this registration.

I just wanted to let anyone else know who is using VOIP-UNLIMITED that they should ENABLE KEEP ALIVES as this seems to have resolved all my problems.

Thanks, Dom.

20. Resolve

Interesting - thanks for the update Dom,

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.