Vonage Limitations +Call Forwards

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by marc, Jul 31, 2007.

1. marc

We have Vonage as a VOIP provider with 3 VOIP lines. I wanted to use 3CX as a PBX to be able to have a virtual receptionist plus extensions to transfer calls to and between extensions.

Vonage limits us a GREAT deal. They disable all access to the VOIP Phone settings both for VOIP Phones and routers and they will not give out the username and passwords for any of the lines. The only workaround is to use a Vonage softphone which then must have a username and password. So, basically, we purchased a new line with them (4 lines total now) just to have 1 Softphone line and be able to set that line as an extension and a VOIP line in 3CX. We also created 3 other extensions that corresponds to our 3 other Vonage lines but that can never register with the 3CX system. In each of those extensions we activated the "Forward All" rule and we forward to the phone number associated to that line. All of that works, except for one major flaw, the transfered calls do not free the main 3CX line. So if we are on a call, nobody can call in because the 3CX associated line is busy even though a transfer was used to get to another line.

Is there anybody that can tell me a way of "hacking" into the vonage phones to get them to be "real" extensions? Or more probably, to get the line to free itself once a transfer is made?

Thanks!

2. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

While I can't help you with your Vonage issues, I have read in several places they are loosing tons of money and may go out of business. I'd check that out some more and start looking at other options just in case. Not sure if what I read was real or not. Having dealt with their horrible support several times, I won't be using them for anything.

Depending on your situation and call usage check out places like nexVortex. They have a plans that will give you as many incoming/outgoing calls as your internet connection can handle. Transfers, and everything else you want are all available.

3. marc

Thanks for the reply Rob. At the moment we are not ready to switch to another provider but I will keep it in mind if we run into too many issues. We've been using it for a year now and I'm extremely happy with the service. Standard tech support is not that great but if you call and ask for advance tech support, they're awesome.

From reading through this forum, I've noticed that no one can use vonage as extensions unless all lines are sofphones. I will try to get vonage to issue me a softphone per line and see if I can use them in 3CX while keeping my PSTN lines as well. (both the softphone and the line would have the same phone #)
    Its worth a try.

Or else, does anybody know how to really transfer a call in the Digital Receptionist?

This is what I would like to happen: The original call dialed to, lets say, 555-3333 (VOIP PBX line) would be then transfered to 555-2222, (using Digital Receptionist + a "forward all" on extension 101) and would then free 555-3333 (after transfer) so that we could receive and transfer other calls while being on a call already. Or something equivalent... In other words, I simply want to use the 3CX PBX to greet a call, and enable a transfer to another line. Once the transfer is done, the PBX line is freed.

Thanks!

4. marc

anyone?

5. Bob

Bob

Hi Marc,

Although you have found that you can't connect 3CX to your Vonage adapter as a VoIP Provider, why don't you purchase an ethernet to PSTN VoIP gateway? I believe they can be found for about $50. You can read about it here: http://www.3cx.com/PBX/VOIP-gateway.html

6. marc

Thank you Bob, that does sound like a good idea. I will look into it.

Marc

7. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Looks like Vonage are greedy bastards :twisted:
    I would suggest to ask for moneyback. :evil:

8. marc

Archie: They say that its for safety purposes!? That the password changes several times per day for all their lines, except for softphone accounts.

That's security for ya. LOL

9. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

If it's REALLY for security reasons - than they are greedy paranoics :)