Vonage

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by hkohila, Aug 24, 2007.

1. hkohila

Hello all,
    I am new in 3CX. I got tired from Asterisk and trixbox, and decided to go for a windows based PBX. I found 3CX and I really like it, but I have a problem.
    I have Vonage Router with 2 lines (RG11 Connection) coming out of it. how can I connect these 2 lines to the 3CX box and how to configure them?
    Thanks
    Hisham

2. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

You will need to treat each line from Vonage the same as a PSTN line. I use Vonage in Canada for a single line. To mate a PSTN line to the 3CX server you will need an FXO adapter. I use the Linksys SPA3102 which is a single line FXO adapter that includes some other benefits, but I would not go so far as to recommend it - it was very difficult to configure (for me), almost became a doorstop a few times, but it does work very well once it is configured and I am happy with it now.

I would suggest you read the "VOIP Gateway Configuration Guides" on the support page https://www.3cx.com/support/ for suggestions on which gateway would best suit your needs. For example, if you use two Vonage lines it might be more economical to purchase a gateway with multiple FXO ports. I would also suggest that you stay with a gateway listed on the support page as its configuration has been tested with 3CX, is well known, and you would receive lots of assistance if required.

Vonage does offer you the option of purchasing a Softphone addon to your account, which will have its own number, usage minutes, and setup info that would allow it to be added as a VoIP provider in 3CX (to the best of my knowledge). However you would still be paying for your primary account, plus the softphone, and to receive calls from your original Vonage number you would have to use forwarding of some type. Costs wise its cheaper over a few months to go with an FXO adapter.

3. chipc1114

I also have Vonage. I cannot find any configuration settings for use with 3cx. Do I need to enter a Proxy or change the local Port?

4. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Is this a Vonage softphone account? If it is, the configuration is basically the same as any generic SIP capable VoIP provider. If instead you are asking about Vonage on the locked device they supply, you must purchase a gateway with one or multiple FXO ports (treat Vonage as a PSTN line) depending on your need. For single FXO an example would be the Linksys SPA3102 described above.