Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

.wav email atatchments corrupt on android phones

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by teichhei, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teichhei

Hi,

I'm having an issue since 12.5 SP2 where voicemail attachments cannot be opened on android phones. The messages vary with the player where the usual "Music" player says "Unable to play this type of audio file".
    When I open a voicemail recorded before August on the same phone it plays fine. Does anybody else have this issue? Was there a change in the way the wav files get recorded with the preparation to v14?

Kind Regards

Heinz

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Take the same email on the phone and forward to a PC, if not using IMAP and already available, Does it play then?

It may not be a corrupt file, but possibly a different encoding which the standard Android player cannot handle.

3. teichhei

Works fine on the PC. It is definitely a codec problem but since a lot of people want to hear their messages on a phone and there is a big chance that it is Android I thought I raise the issue.
    And it was not an Android update that caused it since the old recordings still work.

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

OK, understand, but the post indicated corrupt, which apparently it is not, hence why I suggest the send to an email on a PC.

In any event -

I just tested using a system with V12.5 SP2 and with V14 and had no problem with either VMAIL as an attachment.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S5. As I have a couple of sound applications, none of which are set as the default. The phone asks which player to use whereupon I use "Sound Player", which I believe to be the native player that came with the phone as there is no installed application by that name that I can find nor when looking at the application manager for a total app listing. \

Perhaps a download of an app would make a difference. As an aside, the other app that I have is Google Play Music and the attachment worked as well with this app.

I think I recall having heard of some move to alter the format (uncertain if in V12.5 or V14, but perhaps a search of features would show in the change logs) in an effort to save data usage when sending and I suppose that could be a factor, but as I have not had the issue, any change has been transparent to me.

5. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

In SP1 of 12.5 they changed the WAV files from PCM to ADPCM for compression.
    We have ran into some older androids that are not able to play this new compression format.
    Sadly not much you can on the 3CX side of it.

Im not a android user but can you maybe change the default app on the phone for playing WAV files?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. teichhei

Well, that would explain it. I tried two HTCs on the latest firmware with 12.5 SP2 and both of them can't play the files with any player. A few people asked for mp3 format instead of WAV but that went unheard apparently.
    Tried all native apps (Google Play Music, Music) and VLC, which is supposed to play nearly anything. I rather have the big files back than people calling an complaining that they can't get to their voicemail at all. I looked at the changelogs but did not see anything about the format change. Tried several other WAV and Music players to no avail. Any comment from 3CX on this?

Edit:
    Remote Wave 1.7.7 plays the newish sort of files but none of the other 10 players I tried.

7. Hoenle

Hello!

This is actually a pretty frustrating issue for us. We have hundreds of users accustomed to being able to play attached voicemail files in Chrome but now they cannot.

It would be great if we could get an option to send these as MP3 or PCM (vs ADPCM) wav file...

-Ryan

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone at 3CX could suggest a Google Play App that will play ADPCM files (one that doesn't "read phone status/accounts and identify"). I did a search, and had a read though the descriptions of a number of "music players", but nothing came up that mentioned that specific format. Since I don't currently have files of voice mails sent to my phone, I'm unable to test the various options available.

I'm also very leery about installing Apps that sound too good to be true, or seem to want access to far more, on your phone, than is reasonable to perform their function. Always read the Permissions.

9. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Two of the ones I know of that will play ADPCM on Android are VLC and MX Player but I am sure there are more.

The thing about the permissions, although we can't do much about that but I know some apps do seem to be asking for more than what they need...

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Nick
    It was mentioned , earlier, that VLC had been tried, and apparently , didn't work. If you have confirmed that it should work, then I'm wondering if there is something else going on here.

11. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

It happens that I personally use VLC as my media player of preference, but here is also a screenshot of me listening to a VMail on a LG Nexus 5.

Attached Files:

12. coreybrettboyle

This is a major issue for me too.
    3CX should just offer an option to chose the format? mp3, PCM, etc.
    Something that worked fine with v12, is now broken.

13. coreybrett81

Attn: 3CX developers- We need normal PCM back ASAP! This is a real buzz kill for Google Apps customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.