• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

We have 3 and 4 digit extensions, any options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Moreau

Reaction score
Just moved to 3CX but we have a mix of 3 digit and 4 digit extensions. We set 3CX up as 4 digit and have changed all users to add a 0 to the end of their 3 digit extension. Since business cards etc are all the 3 digit, I'm wondering if we have any other way to route these calls? In Asterisk when doing an IVR, you aren't limited to "What does 1 do, 2 do 3 do etc" you type in "If user presses 1 do this" so you can also set it so if a user on the IVR types in "372" it will go to extension 3720 etc.

Are there any options like that or ways I can set it so that if a user calls the main IVR they can still dial by a 3 digit extension?

If not I think I might just change the main menu IVR to say "Press 1 if you know the persons extension" and then when they press 1 it will say "Please note that all extensions are 4 digits in length. If the person you are trying to reach has a 3 digit extension, you must add 0 to the end of their current extension."

I think you have the options nailed. I have seen multiple length extensions in hotels before... but not very common is it?

Also, the IVR will accept x digits to transfer to an extension by default. There is no menu option to do so.
The option to "Connect to Extension" in the IVR requires you to select which extension to transfer to.
So, your IVR would have to state "if you know your parties 3 digit extension, dial it now followed by 0."
Although, I guess pressing 1 could lead you to another IVR - that says that as well... But not required.

On the extension under other, you can use SIP ID and put a number there which will be used by the system. I have a hotel using 5 digit extensions, but I was able to make the last 3digits unique so by using the Sip ID one only needs to dial a three digit number to reach what is otherwise a 5 digit extension.

So, in your example, put 372 in the sip Id field for extension 3720. At this point dialing either number should ring that extension.

lneblett said:
On the extension under other, you can use SIP ID and put a number there which will be used by the system. I have a hotel using 5 digit extensions, but I was able to make the last 3digits unique so by using the Sip ID one only needs to dial a three digit number to reach what is otherwise a 5 digit extension.

So, in your example, put 372 in the sip Id field for extension 3720. At this point dialing either number should ring that extension.

I didnt know this, nice :D

3CX support (saved me) fed me this clue. I had the same issue when doing a resort as the rooms were all 5 digit, so I had to set the system that way, but the hotel/dining/admin and other extensions were something less - 3&4 digits.

Good call Larry - totally forgot about this option - except I do not think it works in the IVR. The IVR expects the entered digits to be length "1" for menu options, or length "?" for internal extensions based on your selected plan.

Craig - argggh, you are correct The IVR does not look for anything other than what fits the system defined extension length (exception noted below). I just set my extension 102 (at a clinet site) to have a SIP id of 4000. The system recognizes this except when the IVR is in play. The IVR truncates the 4000 to 400. Dialing manually outside of the IVR works fine with 4000.

However, I am now wondering if using the loopback (that you and Leejor discussed) method and setting the advanced system settings for IVRNOCHECKFORDN to 1, might do the trick.

The call would come in, be entered as a non-standard length call and then be routed to the outbound rules whereupon it gets routed back in using the loopback with the SIP ID still being usable.

I would like to test, but alas don't have the time today. Seems like a possibility, but until tested, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCTECHZONE
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.