Solved Web Client - phone not connected issue

Discussion in '3CX Clients' started by edokim, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edokim

When our users log on to the web client, all functions seems to work well, except that they are unable to initiate calls (on either the softphone or the ip phone). It just shows a red phone icon and says 'phone not connected.'

The webclient allows me, the administrator, to initiate calls on the ip phone (shows blue icon) - and rings my phone as 'makecall.'

I am not setting anything up differently other than admin rights. What am I doing wrong?

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @edokim

If the phone icon on the web client is red it means that the web client is not detecting any supported phones registered on the same extension. Are there any devices registered on the same extension? Do they appear as registered in the management console?
    Is the server local to the phones and web client or remote?

3. edokim

They are registered on the same extension, and show as registered in the management console. Their windows clients work fine too (including initiating calls). As stated, all other functions work on the web clients, except this one (initiating calls).

The latest PBX is on GPC, and we are using the latest SBC also. The computers they are logging onto the web clients with are on the same lan as the ip phones.

Curiously, my personal extension (administrator), works perfectly on the web client.

#3 edokim, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

What ip phones are you using? Are all devices on the same network? On your personal extension that works, do you use a push device (IOS or Android) by any chance?

5. edokim

We are using Cisco 7960s, which I understand are not officially supported for this. But again, it works fine with my extension (I also am using a 7960). We have tried it at two different remote sites, with the same results. If I log on from any computer with my account, it works. If on the same computer, I log on with another user's account, the initiate call does not work. I have even switched (re-provisioned) my account on different physical phones, with the same results. So we know it is not the hardware nor the site lan, but something specifically to do with account configuration?

I do have the iPhone client installed on my cel.

6. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Cisco phones do not support CSTA which the web client uses to initiate calls. Therefore you see a red telephone meaning that no compatible devices have been detected. This is the correct behaviour as legacy phones are not supported by the web client and cannot be used. There are no special permissions i can think of to have the web client initiate a call. It probably works on your account as you have registered a Push device on your extension which actually the web client can use. Because of that the client initiates an Invite to the extension which also rings the Cisco phone. When you click on the telephone symbol in your web client what are the options presented? Do you see the Cisco or do you see only "Enable 3CX Smartphone".

7. edokim

I only see "Enable 3CX Smartphone." And your explanation makes sense as to why my account is the only one with that works. We have not enabled anyone else on iphone apps. That was driving me crazy, but now it makes sense.

Is it possible to limit who can use the smartphone app? We see the QR code displaying on all accounts.

8. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

There are a few options that limit the use of the 3CX client in general but nothing specific for the clients on smartphones as those are also considered 3CX clients. You can only limit the Push functionality for smartphones and their ability to use the tunnel when remote but nothing to remove their ability to be provisioned.
    You can however request for that by creating a feature request in our ideas section of the forum where it can be upvoted by other users and evaluated by the appropriate department.

9. edokim

Got it. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.