Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Weird Incoming Caller ID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mfranzel, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfranzel

Hello,
    I am testing the 3CX system before deployment. I am testing with a Polycom 650 and the 3CX software for Mac.

When a call comes in, the caller ID display on the Polycom shows this (where xxx is the phone number):

Code:
    +1561771xxxx:Home
    sip:561771xxxx@10.0.1.209:5060

On our previous phone system, the first line would simply show the incoming caller's name and the second line their phone number. However, now it shows with the suffix ":Home" and the SIP URL at the bottom.

On the soft phone for Mac, it only shows the first line, but still with the :Home suffix.

How can I fix this?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Could this be a suffix (name), added from a ring group, queue or DID within 3CX? That is an option.

Haven't seen the SIP line crop up before. In the 3CX server log, is there a name shown from your provider?

What type of trunking are you using, a gateway? If so, there could be an option that needs to be "tweaked".

3. mfranzel

I have looked. I have originally set it up as a ring group and tested and then for easier testing purposes, I had it directly connect to a line. Any way it processes, it shows :Home. Nowhere in my settings is the word Home.

Also, what about he second line?

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

As leejor mentioned, this appears to be a name that was associated to an aspect of the system or by CNam from a phone book entry or the like. Look at the inbound rule for the DID dialed and see if perhaps this is located in the inbound rule name; otherwise check your phone book settings.

With regard to the second question, what do you consider a fix? Removal of the CID from the Polycom or inclusion of the CID on the softphone? If you dial from an extension to the softphone, does the CID show up? What about the CNam?

5. mfranzel

So as it turns out, this was being caused by an inbound rule. I simply deleted it and it has now been removed.

However, I still cannot get CNam to show up anywhere. Now on both the softphoens and Polycoms as well as a Snom phone, it simply shows +1561771xxxx on both lines with no caller name anywhere.

6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Who is your provider? Do they provide CNAM Lookup? Talking VoIP Providers - Not all do this automatically. Most will charge for it as well on a per call basis.
    Also - do not delete the inbound rule - simply remove the Description of "HOME" from it. Or turn off the functionality of adding the DID or Ring Group name.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mfranzel

By delete, I meant the HOME part, not the actual rule.

And yes, they do provide CNAM lookup and it works when configured on other systems.

8. craigreilly

I just tested 2 devices I have available right now. I called outbound from the office number.
    iOS Softphone: Showed CNAM
    Mac Softphone: Did not show CNAM

I know our deskphones do - Grand-stream 2130/40/60's.

Perhaps a setting on the Polycom needs to be changed if it is showing SIP info instead of CNAM.

I did another test - calling from my home phone - which uses VoIP.MS.
    My iOS Device showed CNAM from VoIP.ms (I think)
    My MAC showed the Extension the call was being made from.

Definitely seems like some different behavior is programmed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. mfranzel

Okay so I changed some settings around on the voip provider side and the CNAM comes through fine... However, I think something is being affected on the 3CX side... Now it is showing as the following:

CNAM:Inbound Number
    CNAM

So instead of it showing HOME it shows the inbound number and does NOT show the number of the caller, just their name twice.

10. craigreilly

who is your provider? and what specifically did you change?

11. mfranzel

We use voip.ms and well, I turned CNAM lookup on :lol:

12. craigreilly

interesting that it worked on the previous system. perhaps it has some sort of CNAM built in?

I just tested our Voip.ms trunk on an inbound call (we use for backup only) and it showed the same results as my Flowroute trunk did. Funny thing is - I do not subscribe to CNAM on Voip.ms. So now the mystery gets deeper for me. Thanks! :D

Do you have ability to test a Softphone - Android or iOS?
    It seems like your issue is for sure now phone based and not provider based. Confirming this could be done using iOS for sure, and possibly Android.

13. mfranzel

No, what happened is for testing purposes I switched DIDs on the voip.ms side, then forgot to enable CNAM. And sorry about that!! ;)

I tested with the 3CX iOS softphone and it does do the same thing. Shows CNAM for both the name and number field. When I go to the SIP trunk settings and go to Inbound Settings, I get the following. Does this look right?

Attached Files:

14. mfranzel

Hmmm... turns out that "CallerNum" needs to be set to From User Part... Think everything is working now... I THINK.

15. craigreilly

That is the setting I already have - so somehow yours was different.
    My setup was imported from v12.5 if I recall.

Glad you got moving in the right direction.

As far as removing Home - many users like this feature when they host many businesses on the same system and share a receptionist. Allows them to identify which DID is being called and answer the phone properly.

16. mfranzel

I can totally understand that and can appreciate the feature. But when you only have 1 DID going through the system, it confuses me! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.