Weird SPA3102 Problem after Upgrade

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by warever, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warever

I had an older version running on a standalone XP machine but started having some issues. I did a clean install in a VM (under XenServer) of a clean install of XP Pro with all the latest patches. So 3cx is v9 SP4 with all updates. I created everything from scratch again.

There are four SPA3102s labelled PSTN-1 to PSTN-4. PSTN-1 is connected to a Verizon POTS line (the "office" number), PSTN-4 is also connected to a Verizon POTS line (the "home" number), and PSTN-2 and PSTN-3 are connected to the "POTS" outputs of a Vonage adapter. Lame going VoIP across the Internet (Vonage) to an adapter to go to POTS and then through a 3102 to get back to VoIP, but ya do what ya gotta do since Vonage doesn't support SIP trunk.

PSTN-4 goes to a ring group 24x7. PSTN-1, PSTN-2, and PSTN-3 go to different Digital Receptionists depending on the hours.

PSTN-2, PSTN-3, and PSTN-4 all work fine. When I call the "office" POTS line plugged into PSTN-1, it just rings and rings forever and nothing happens.

If I plug that line into one of the other 3102s, same thing - continual ringing but no answer. If I plug one of the Vonage "POTS" lines into PSTN-1 and call that number, it works fine, too - so it isn't a failure of the PSTN-1 3102 configuration or 3cx's config of that line.

Ok, so it sounds like the line isn't working. Except that I can call OUT from 3cx using that line and have no problems (I setup "81" to "84" prefix rules to allow selecting a particular outgoing gateway). And if I plug a test set into the line (instead of the 3102), it rings just fine, I can call just fine, I can answer a ringing call just fine, etc. If I tell Verizon that there's a problem, they're probably going to tell me I'm nuts.

The 3102s were all updated to the latest (5.1.10(GW)) firmware, all are the same hardware level, and they were then configured exactly as per the instructions found on the main 3cx web site (from the "how to configure gateways" documents).

I tested and noticed that the polarity was backwards on this one line. Actually, this one was CORRECT and the rest were all BACKWARDS, but I reversed it to match the others. Same problem.

I'm wondering if there's just something weird about the configuration that's causing problems with a perhaps slightly out of tolerance line, or perhaps CID is being reported slightly differently on this line.

Whatever, it is driving me crazy. Anyone got any ideas?

2. warever

More info... I had Verizon test the line. No problems found (I figured). I changed the PSTN Caller ID field from the specified "*" to blank (since the docs say that you can disable it with a blank field). Not quite true; it then answers immediately and gives me a dialtone. From what I read, it is awaiting authentication.

I checked with Verizon and realized that the specific line does NOT have caller-ID on it.

So apparently, there's an issue with NOT having caller-ID on a POTS line and the 3102s. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the 3102 firmware or the latest 3cx.

I ordered it (CID) online. We'll see what happens when they get the feature turned on (which probably means waiting 24-48 hours).

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Haven't seen any issues using the 3102 on lines without caller ID. In fact many people make the mistake of setting the PSTN answer time so low (below 3 seconds) that the incoming call works but they get no caller Id because the 3102 isn't waiting long enough for it. What does the status page on the 3102 show when you try an incoming call? The one that rings and rings. Have you compared all other settings, other than line number/password, with the other units? Bring up two browsers, one on each side of the screen with the non working unit on one side and a working unit on the other.

Couple of other things...There is a remote possibility that the 3102 has gone bad, and will not recognise the incoming ringing. It's very unlikely, but still a possibility. There are setting in the 3102 to deal with "different" ringing voltages/Frequencies in the PSTN tab/International Control, the defaults should suffice, but you may want to "play" with them if the 3102 isn't recognising the ring at all. Just make not of the initial values before changing things.

You may want to set up the syslog feature on the 3102. It will show you what is going on internally. You need to be running a syslog program on a computer on your network. I've used this one before http://www.kiwisyslog.com/kiwi-syslog-server-overview/ There used to be a free version but it is a free demo version now. enough to do what you need to do.

Enable syslog and point it to the IP of the computer running the program.

4. warever

I got Caller-ID ordered (finally - they screwed up the online order from last night and had to place it manually). They CLAIM the order is complete, but it still doesn't work.

It shows "ringing" on the 3102 status page.

I actually DID check all of the 3102s against each other - including the one that has the "home" Verizon phone attached and which IS working fine.

Note, though, that as I said, I plugged that POTS line into some of the OTHER 3102s and it STILL doesn't work, so it isn't an issue with just that ONE 3102. Plus, I've plugged the other lines into THAT 3102 and they DO work. So there's some weird compatibility thing with that line and the 3102.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Then it very well may be an issue with the ringing voltage/frequency not being recognized by any 3102 on that line. You could measure it using a multi-meter set to AC volts (analogue works best), and compare to the other lines when ringing. You might have to "play" with the settings on the 3102 connected to that line.

6. warever

Problem solved.

Verizon added Caller ID to the line and it didn't work right away... but then I realized that in testing (to try to get it to work WITHOUT Caller-ID on that line), I had changed the "PSTN Caller ID Pattern" to "anonymous" instead of just "*". After changing it back to the asterisk (is it kosher to mention the "A" word here? grin), it started working.

Moral of the story? I'm not sure whether it is 3cx v9 SP4 that has the issue, or the latest SPA3102 (5.1.10(GW)) firmware, or a combination of both, but if the line does NOT have the Caller ID feature on it, it won't ring through.

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

3cx v9 SP4 doesn't cause this problem. It is for sure.

Thanks for update

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

With regards to the * in the caller ID field...I have never used it, caller ID or not, and in fact, the first place I had seen it specified in a datafill, was this site. I know that, in the past, it has caused issues with some users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.