Welcome email and internal and external URLs & relationship to PBX configuration tool

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bdarcyevans, Apr 5, 2018.

1. bdarcyevans

I’m after your thoughts…

I rebuilt our 3CX PBX this week. It had been working mostly fine, but had been moved from Windows to Linux and then back to Windows when we had some Hyper-V compatibility issues (all done via built in backup and restore method) but we were never quite sure when occasional issues cropped up if this all this moving around could have been possible cause so I opted for a clean install this time around.

I got to the “Select the default network adapter” step and opted for “Local IP” on the basis that it was for “addressing phones” and I didn’t expect that to impact the end user. To my surprise when the PBX configuration tool finished and the welcome email was sent to the operator extension it read;

With 3CX webclient you don’t need to install any software. To access it
    1. Go to https://10.x.y.z/webclient if in the office or
    https://subdomain.3cx.com.au/webclient when out of the office
    2. Login using xxxx
    3. With password xxxx

Given we already had split DNS in place for the ‘subdomain.3cx.com.au’ the last thing I wanted was users being instructed to access the webclient over IP, resulting in a certificate error, so making an assumption that this configuration item was the trigger for the IP inclusion in the welcome email I opted to do another clean install (rather than modifying the welcome email template). This time I selected “Enter your local FQDN” and entered the ‘subdomain.3cx.com.au’ as our local FQDN. Success, this time when the wizard finished and the welcome email was sent to the operator extension it read;

With 3CX webclient you don’t need to install any software. To access it
    1. Go to https://subdomain.3cx.com.au/webclient
    2. Login using xxxx
    3. With password xxxx

Thinking that I’d solved it, I got on with the business of creating extensions. I got to up to creating mine, received the welcome email, checked it, and to my surprise it was back to including an in office and an out of office URL option despite not having changed anything of significance.

All of the 'local' and 'ext' parameters (e.g. sipdomain, sipdomain2, web_root, etc.) correctly show the ‘subdomain.3cx.com.au’ so I’m not sure why the welcome email worked initially with a single access method, but not since.

The out of box welcome email template obviously has some built in logic to determine whether two URL’s are required or if one will suffice.

What’s everyone’s experience on this? Would love your feedback.

Brendan

2. bdarcyevans

Just an update on this, changing the 'Network interface for registration and provisioning' to the subdomain.3cx.com.au for the '3CX Client' only for each respective extension appeared to be enough to revert the welcome email back to providing only the single link as desired.