Welltech ATA 172 with pitney bowes k700 postage machine

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Jon Agnes, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Jon Agnes

Hi, I'm running v15.5 and using a Welltech ATA 172. Faxing works fine. I'm trying to use the 2nd port for a mail machine to get postage. I'm seeing the phone call on the call log, but getting no carrier on the pitney. Anyone have advice on doing a modem call over this ata? If not, then another work around?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

VoIP faxing has a "standard" (t.38), and in most cases, it will work. Using a modem over VoIP, will be a bit tricky. The lower the bit rate, the more chance it may work. It the device is expecting to connect at close to 56k, then it is destined to fail. I would contact the company supplying the machine and ask for any advice they have, on using their equipment, on VoIP lines. They may have suggestions on hardware (ATA), and on any changes that can be done (options?), to make it more VoIP "friendly". They may also say "forget it", use a PSTN line.

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Good luck on using an ATA for this. I had tried this years ago and it never worked as I assume that there is something within the modem protocol that just does not translate well across the voice codecs used by the ATA. Perhaps slowing the rate will make a difference as Leejor suggested.

PB makes a meter head that allows you to connect the head to a PC with a USB cable. The PC is running the PB application whereby you can replenish the postage as well as the other usual maintenance items over the Internet. While I do not know the cost, if any, of exchanging the head, perhaps the PSTN line avoidance cost will pay for the exchange and make it worth while.

4. Jon Agnes

Will probably need to go in that direction. They had gotten a little device that went from the usb to an ethernet connection. It had a setup program to configure etc. We could never get it to work. I've been doing this a long time, and some stuff just doesn't work. Thanks for the replies.