Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

what constitutes a simultaneous call?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by smokeman, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokeman

just wondering if 1 extension calls a second extension, is that 1 call, or 2?
    also, is an extension that calls out, over a voip trunk connection, 1 call, or 2(1 connection from phone to pbx, another from pbx to voip channel)?

just trying to get licensing figured out.

Thanks,
    Barry Smoke
    AR Division of Legislative Audit

2. smb1

smb1 New Member

Both cases should be considered a single call.

To confirm what 3CX thinks is going on is to to check the system log during a call to see the concurrent calls that are taking place.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A voice path (conversation) between two parties(internal or external) is a call. This holds true in most cases. As I understand it, transfers, calls in queues, and three-way calls may be counted as an additional call.

4. smb1

smb1 New Member

Do connections via a bridge consume another call? I have a recollection of this being the case in earlier versions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Why would they not? A bridge call is a call between two parties. No different than placing an outside call on any trunk.

6. daktur

daktur New Member

When incoming call from siptrunk rings 5 extension is this 1 or 5 calls?

7. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The question regarding the ring group......

It is one call.

When the system answered the incoming, it did so using the system extension for the ring group. That extension still "held" onto the call while the system rang the phones associated to the ring group. When one of the extensions answers, the call is then transferred to that phone, so it still remains as one call.

8. jholcombe

I believe that paging (one handset paging out to multiple handsets) also counts as one call.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In the case of paging and ring groups...the call has not yet been terminated, station to station. If you had a 4 SC licence and attempted to page 8 extensions, you'd continually run into problems, correct?

10. humansys

I'd also like further clarification. In the demo test when I tried to make an inbound call and the inbound call hit a ring group, and my extension is setup to simultaneously ring my cell phone and desk phone, I was told I was out of licenses of the free version, so it appears ringing a cell phone takes up another simulataneous call. Does this mean each additional find me/follow me adds another simultaneous call? If this is the case it really significantly increases the licensing costs for most cloud companies. For a two-person office they'd need the 4-seat license, and a 3 person office would need the 8-seat license (one inbound call would mean one inbound, one ring group, and 3 cell phone "licenses").

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A "ring my mobile at the same time", outgoing call, is considered a second call (until one end is answered), as I've experienced myself.

Your scenarios rely on all extensions receiving calls at the same time. So...looking at that another way...if you have an office with, say, four extensions (all with the ring my mobile option), and four outside trunks, if all four of the extensions were receiving calls at the same time (or two placing calls and two incoming), you'd have no outbound trunks to also send the calls to mobiles, you'd need twice as many trunks as you had extensions if everyone had this option, just to guarantee no blocking. It all depends on how far you are willing to go, how much you are wiling to spend, to cover a worse case scenario.

12. Sopock

Sopock Member

Even if we use 3CX app?

13. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The app is an extension and treated as such, no different than if you had a remote extension. The mobile (cell) aspect is an independent device that is not attached to the system natively with a registration like the app, but requires the use of an outside number that then uses the carrier's cellular signal (TDMA, GSM, CDMA, etc.) to reach the device...another call

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.